Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wayniack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016
Salinas, CA
I replaced the hard drive in a 2010 MacBook Pro and reinstalled Sierra. The Time Machine backup has an issue but I'm able to access the files and copy them manually. While moving the photos from the backup there is an (icon?) called 'Photos Library' that asks the following question when I try to copy it to Photos: "Do you want to switch the current Photos Library from "Photos Library" to "Photos Library"?"

I'm not sure what the implication for this are, but my hunch is that I should select 'Cancel' rather than 'Switch'. I don't want to do it if it will screw something up, but I don't want to leave it undone if it's necessary to restore the photos to the new profile correctly.

Thanks in advance!

=^)> Wayniack

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
Hi,

what happens is likely this : after you installed Sierra on the new hard drive, you probably launched Photos for the first time BEFORE you try to restore from your TM backup.

By doing this, you have created an new, empty Photos Library in your Pictures folder.

Now, when you try to copy the TM backup Photos Library with Photos already open, Photos asks : "Do you want to switch the current Photos Library from "Photos Library (empty)" to "Photos Library (TM backup)" ? and this is normal.

What you should do :

- launch Photos and check that there is no photos here (the Library is empty).

- double-check this by going to your Pictures folder and see the size of the Photos Library (a newly created empty Photos Library weighs ~6 Mo).

- Quit Photos

- move that Photos Library to the trash

- copy over the TM backup Photos Library to your Pictures folder.

- after completion, double click on it to open it in Photos.

All your stuff should be here.

- if all is ok, go to Photos / Preferences / General, check : "Use as system Photo library"

Reactions: bcave098

Wayniack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016
Salinas, CA
Thanks Bruno09! I just decided to not copy the Photos Library shortcut to the new hard drive. I don't think it's necessary to mess with it. Copying the backed up photos to the Photos app seems to be sufficient unless I've missed something.

Regards

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.