Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
I have AirPods Plus and while I have been underwhelmed with Spatial Audio in Apple Music, last night I watched a bit of the second season of Central Park on first my iPhone 12 and then my iPad mini 5 and I was very impressed with the audio. This was my first attempt in a while and I kept thinking the sound was coming from the device instead of my APP.
My question is whether people would tend to watch on an iPad/iPhone instead of Apple TV on a big TV just because of the Spatial Audio? Like I said, I was very impressed - especially the effect of the sound seeming to always come from my iOS device - but still prefer watching on a larger screen.

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
I like very much Spatial Audio, but I prefer to watch my TV Shows on a big screen, and it’s very rare that I use headphones on my Apple TV. I welcome Spatial Audio coming to Apple TV this fall, but it will not make a big difference for me, as I generally watch these shows on my TV and speakers rather than headphones. But of course, having spatial audio on TV when listening with my AirPods will be a great experience

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
But if you watch Apple TV shows on the TV, the sound always comes from the direction of your TV. So it's basically the same as spatial audio? Unless, of course, you watch TV only with headphones. ?

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
But if you watch Apple TV shows on the TV, the sound always comes from the direction of your TV. So it's basically the same as spatial audio? Unless, of course, you watch TV only with headphones. ?
Like I said last night was my first real attempt. But I believe the idea of "Spatial Audio" is to give the impression of surround sound - like sitting in a movie theatre. Though from what I have read, users who have true surround sound systems set up (with the proper amplifiers also), say the Apple "spatial audio" does not really compare to true surround sound/Dolby Atmos.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
....My question is whether people would tend to watch on an iPad/iPhone instead of Apple TV on a big TV just because of the Spatial Audio? Like I said, I was very impressed - especially the effect of the sound seeming to always come from my iOS device - but still prefer watching on a larger screen.
Download the beta. It is very stable and was my motivation for buying a pair of Max and 4K ATV. Atmos/Spatial Audio/Head Tracking work perfectly.

No way would I watch on my iPad or iPhone while at home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.