Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

etaleb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
Guys - newly moving to Mac M2 from a PC and have a connectivity question. I currently use 3 periperals all connnected to USB ports - external spinning HDD, Jabra 40 Evolve wired headset & speakers. Given there are only 2 USB ports on the Mac, should I get thunderbolt to USB adaptors or simply invest in a dock. I can get a USB dock or maybe a Thunderbolt HDD enclosure. Some make/models would be helpful

Thanks

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
A USB hub should suite you fine but make sure it’s a powered hub if those peripherals don’t have their own power supplies. I would imagine any decent brand hub will do. I’ll let others name make/models but I would simply google for reviews.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
Guys - newly moving to Mac M2 from a PC and have a connectivity question. I currently use 3 periperals all connnected to USB ports - external spinning HDD, Jabra 40 Evolve wired headset & speakers. Given there are only 2 USB ports on the Mac, should I get thunderbolt to USB adaptors or simply invest in a dock. I can get a USB dock or maybe a Thunderbolt HDD enclosure. Some make/models would be helpful

Thanks
What "Mac M2"?? Do you mean "Mac mini M2"??

If so, there are 2 USB-A 3.1gen1 ports and two USB-C ports that support up to TB4 and can "fall back" to TB3 and USB 3.1gen2. Just plug your headset and speakers into the two USB-A ports and get a USB-C to whatever (USB-microB 3.0, ...) cable to replace the existing cable you've used with the HDD. A new cable is far better and stacking a USB-A to USB-C adapter on your existing cable, though that will work. That will still leave one TB4 port open for future use and you can always add a hub (preferably powered) later if/when more ports are needed.

etaleb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
I had no idea you could use TB4 just like USB-C and it's the same connector. My speakers and Jabra 40 headset are not replaceable cables so I'll just proceed with a female USB-A to male USB-C adaptor.

Does it matter if I connect my 7200rpm external HDD to the USB-A or USB-C port? I guess the latter is faster?

Thanks!

thebart

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2023
I had no idea you could use TB4 just like USB-C and it's the same connector. My speakers and Jabra 40 headset are not replaceable cables so I'll just proceed with a female USB-A to male USB-C adaptor.

Does it matter if I connect my 7200rpm external HDD to the USB-A or USB-C port? I guess the latter is faster?

Thanks!

It's a spinning disk. The port will not be the bottle neck. You can use the slower USB A port.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.