Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dino8031

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2005
I have a 15" 1.25 Gig aluminum Powerbook.

I setup the dock the way I wanted it, removing a few of the original icons and adding alias' from other programs.

When I restart the machine the dock resets to it's original configuration. The exception is that icons for Microsoft Office programs remain. Icons for other programs like Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator go away.

Is there a way to fix this so that the dock can be configured and locked?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Could be a permissions error which would be repairable through Disk Utility (in your Utilities folder). Otherwise, maybe try trashing the Dock preferences, aptly named com.apple.dock.plist and restarting. :)

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Just to clarify, what you're seeing is not normal. The dock is supposed to stay set the same way across restarts. I agree with mad jew that it's probably a permissions or preferences problem.

dino8031

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2005
Deleting the folder seems to have solved the issue. I configured the dock, restarted and everything remains intact.

Its an interesting lesson in how the Mac OS works. I can't imagine deleting system folders on a Windows box to fix issues with properties or settings. This seems WAY too simple.

One more question... Is this sort of issue symptomatic of a pending system wide failure, either with hardware or software? Everything else seems remarkably stable and smooth.

I appreciate your replies very much. Thanks.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
dino8031 said:
One more question... Is this sort of issue symptomatic of a pending system wide failure, either with hardware or software? Everything else seems remarkably stable and smooth.

Bizarre as this problem is, it's not a sign of future woes. I wouldn't worry if I were you, especially if everything else is fine. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.