Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevemolitor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
I've got a fancy and bulky 5 button mouse I use at home with my PB when I'm connected to my external monitor, keyboard, and mouse. Remotely, I use a smaller 3 button mouse. At home, I like to set up my expose hot keys to use the 4th and 5th mouse buttons. Obviously that won't work on the road with my 3 button mouse. With that mouse I like to use the middle mouse button in combination with modifier keys (like ctrl).

How can I best set up two different mouse configurations? My current solution is to have two different versions of ~/com.apple.symbolichotkeys.plist, .docked and .undocked. When I plug in at home I overwrite the plist file with the docked version, and vice versa when I'm at home. This sort of works, except that I have to log out after copying the file for the changes to take effect. Is there any way to have those changes take effect immediately, or even better yet, to have the OS recognize at bootup or login which kind of mouse it has and do the switch for me?

Thanks!

Steve

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.