Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Docker-OSX is a Github project that allows you to run macOS under Linux as a virtual machine with generally very good performance. This includes the option of running macOS under WSL2 in Windows 11. So it's a way to run both operating systems at the same time on the same machine.

The Github page is at https://github.com/sickcodes/Docker-OSX and the Discord is at https://discord.com/channels/871502559842541679/871502643678281729

It is assumed that you have some development skills and can work with directions that are sometimes incomplete or where the directions aren't necessary linear or you run into problems that aren't described in the documentation but that a developer would either know what to do or could figure it out.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I'm currently installing Ventura on an i7-10700 system running Windows 10 -> VMware -> Ubuntu and the idea is to compare performance with this setup, and WSL2, and Ubuntu directly to get an idea of relative performance.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I tried Ventura and it hung. I tried Monterey and it hung. I tried Big Sur and it hung. I'm trying Catalina and it's almost done. It is quite possible that the other operating systems just take a long time on my system and that they would complete if I just let them run long enough. Catalina has 8 minutes remaining though so it looks quite promising. If Catalina installs, then I'll try one of the others and just give it a ton of time. I am at 2 hours running for Catalina so bear in mind that the install can take a long time.

I need to look at the switches to make a container persistent. In the past, a macOS VM wasn't persistent - it only stayed up through your docker sessions. Sick Codes was working on making setups persistent with a combination of switches when I stopped using it around July 2021. So I assume that it's good now. The main reason for the project is to do security testing on macOS, iOS and application software that runs on it.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Catalina is up and running. It took 3 hours to install. I will try installing Big Sur again tomorrow and just let it run for a long time.

tikiriki

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2023
Docker-OSX is a Github project that allows you to run macOS under Linux as a virtual machine with generally very good performance.
No way. I've tried macos in virtual machine on windows and linux and without gpu acceleration it's actually unusable as daily driver.
Unfortunatelly I'm on ryzen thus cannot passthrough - I mean with 1 gpu it's more challening

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.