Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Khurram

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
Ok two problems here..
on my MBA neither the applications nor documents folder is showing up in my dock..
I tried dragging the documents folder to the dock from the finder and it just disappeared in a could of smoke!
How do I add it back to my "places" and how do I get the apps and documents folder in my dock?
Thanks

Khurram

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
Ok two problems here..
on my MBA neither the applications nor documents folder is showing up in my dock..
I tried dragging the documents folder to the dock from the finder and it just disappeared in a could of smoke!
How do I add it back to my "places" and how do I get the apps and documents folder in my dock?
Thanks

Great now my applications folder disappeared as well from my "spaces"!!
how do I get these back in the finder and the dock???

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
If you tried dragging it from the Sidebar in a Finder window to the Dock, it will simply disappear like that. It's because that's just a shortcut. You need to navigate in your Finder window to your Applications and Documents windows and drag those to both your Dock and your Sidebar.

zirkle2007

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2007
Indiana, USA
Also make sure you are dragging it from the actual hard drive or home folder, not from the left pane in Finder. I don't believe it works if you do it that way.

Khurram

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
Make sure you are dragging them to the right hand side of the dock's dividing line.

I tried doing that because I know where they should be because I was using leopard on my macbook..but when I did that they just went away in the "poof" of smoke and now they aren't showing up in my finder either!

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
I tried doing that because I know where they should be because I was using leopard on my macbook..but when I did that they just went away in the "poof" of smoke and now they aren't showing up in my finder either!

I think you are trying to drag the shortcuts from the sidebar in finder to the dock, that wont work.

To put everything back in the sidebar, go to Finder->preferences->sidebar

Now, when you've done that, navigate in finder to the folders you want in the dock, and drag the actual folder to the dock.

Khurram

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
Ok i've got my apps folder back in the dock although it's still now showing up in the sidebar of finder and also my docs folder and sidebar have vanished completely ....how can I get that back?

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Ok i've got my apps folder back in the dock although it's still now showing up in the sidebar of finder and also my docs folder and sidebar have vanished completely ....how can I get that back?

See my above message. Finder->Preferences->Sidebar

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.