Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I finally relented and opted for the 50 GB iCloud storage per month. I thought since I have two Macs that feature the iCloud Desktop & Documents syncing option, I would enable it. It enabled just fine on my M1 Mac, but on my 2015 MacBook Pro signed in with the same Apple ID running macOS Mojave (latest updates), its prompting me to upgrade to 200 GBs of storage monthly.

Is there something I am missing here? I have at least 30 GBs of free storage left, although I woke up this morning seeing a message on my iPhone that it was used up. Only realized later, it was my iPhone and iPad backups that gobbled up all that space; promptly deleted both and all is well.

Just would like to fix the issue with Mojave not being able to participate in the Documents in the Cloud option. I won't be upgrading the Mac to later versions since I am using Photoshop CS6 on it.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Yeah, the 50 GB storage will fill up fast if you have iPhones and an iPad and do backups.

I wonder if on your 2015 MacBook Pro running Mojave that you may have "optimize storage" selected? Or, in your iCloud settings you've chosen "Desktop and documents folders"?

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I think know why, its actually wanting to sync my entire Home folder, I thought this would just be the Desktop. Considering I have things like VMs in there that are well over 50 GBs, syncing is not an option I guess. When moved over to the M1 Mac, I didn't restore the VMs, since they are x86, so, that significantly reduced how much space was used in the Home folder.

The only option here would be if Apple offered more granular controls and in this case, that's not gonna happen, especially for an older release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.