Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chattahoochee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Palmetto Florida
In a book I bought regarding Macs, it mentions "Word Processing Documents" & "Spreadsheets" in iWorks like Microsoft for Mac and Apple as well as Microsoft Excel for Mac. This is not part of the Snow Leopard OS I downloaded. Does this have to be purchased separately ?

Last edited:

neilly93

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2013
Yes, you'll either have to buy MS Office for Mac or Apple's alternative - iWork.

Alternatively, the constituent parts of iWork (Pages, Numbers and Keynote) can be downloaded individually from the App Store.

chattahoochee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Palmetto Florida
Looking at "iworks" it is hard to determine the full scope of the software. It shows all kinds of process's icloud for one. i am more interested in "Word Procossers" & 'Spreadsheets".

neilly93

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2013
Numbers is Apple's version of Excel, so should deal with any spreadsheet requirements you have. Similarly, Pages is a lot like MS Word, and should be enough for your word processing needs.

As I said earlier, MS Office for Mac might also be an alternative. 2011 is the most recent version, but 2008 might be a cheaper option if you can find a copy on eBay.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
In a book I bought regarding Macs, it mentions "Word Processing Documents" & "Spreadsheets" in iWorks like Microsoft for Mac and Apple as well as Microsoft Excel for Mac. This is not part of the Snow Leopard OS I downloaded. Does this have to be purchased separately ?

There is a free office suite called Libre Office that might suit your needs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.