Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dadders6

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2019
Dallas
Why does one Documents folder show 16.2 GIG, while the 'regular' folder shows 309 MEG? (Catalina)

Attachments

• Documents x 2 folders+ovals.png
    Documents x 2 folders+ovals.png
    272.9 KB · Views: 116

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
The disk has about 16 Gb of document files (different from system files and apps).

Those documents are scattered around in different folders: in a folder called desktop you have around 11.5 Gb, in another folder called Pictures you have 3 Gb, in the folder called movies you have around 0.65 Gb, and in a folder called documents you have around 0.3 Gb.

Did I help to clarify the situation? The fact that a particular folder is called "documents" does not mean it is the only folder with documents on it.

dadders6

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2019
Dallas
I'm still confused, but it's mostly 'why does apple do it that way" confusion. In my mind, a document is exactly that, a document, like an RTF, word doc etc. The large 'document' area in that screen shot contains everything EXCEPT documents: Videos, music files and Photos etc.

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
I'm still confused, but it's mostly 'why does apple do it that way" confusion. In my mind, a document is exactly that, a document, like an RTF, word doc etc. The large 'document' area in that screen shot contains everything EXCEPT documents: Videos, music files and Photos etc.
Both my father and I are called Carlos. However, I can testify we are indeed 2 different individuals. We share the name, but we are different people. It's just the same with your problem. I get it can be confusing, but they are 2 different things and are not the same. There is nothing wrong with the way your computer accounts for space and files.

BTW, you can also have files named "file".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.