Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

accidentaltexan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2013
I have an Apple TV HD (5,3) connected to an older Toshiba TV of 720p resolution. I’ve used this TV with several generations of Apple TV going back to the original Intel-based ones. After the 17.2 update, it no longer displays, except for brief glitches during boot. Menu + down-volume to get it to switch resolution, doesn’t help. Restore from my Mac doesn’t help. Anything else to try, or does 17.2 break 720p?

Edit: SOLVED. Connect Apple TV to something that will accept 1024p and 720p, go into Settings and select 720p output format, shut down and reconnect to original 720p-only TV/monitor.

Last edited:

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
I think it's menu and direction up. it then supposedly cycles through the resolutions every 20 seconds, giving you the option to stop on one that works.

never knew that combo existed

sorry, that's for the older models (pre 4), it is menu volume down for the newer ones.

maybe try unplugging and re-plugging both ends of your HDMI cable? sometimes that clears up weird issues when it handshakes again.

I'm not at home to check on mine at the moment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.