Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdavenport

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2009
Im still looking for a good capacitve stylus for use with my iPad, in particular Penultimate and Note Taker HD.

I have a Dagi styles but find that due to flat panel tip you always have to write at a certain angle to get good connection with the ipad screen for it to write. This is made harder to do with the Apple Case on.

Therefore I am looking for others. I keep coming across the Pogo Sketch. Is this anygood for note taking or is it intended for drawing?

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
I have the pogo and it is okay. I'm not sure if this type of screen will ever allow an easy way to take hand-written notes.

It can be done but you need to apply constant pressure or you will get writing that is broken. After a while you get used to how to use it.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Im still looking for a good capacitve stylus for use with my iPad, in particular Penultimate and Note Taker HD.

I have a Dagi styles but find that due to flat panel tip you always have to write at a certain angle to get good connection with the ipad screen for it to write. This is made harder to do with the Apple Case on.

Therefore I am looking for others. I keep coming across the Pogo Sketch. Is this anygood for note taking or is it intended for drawing?

Thanks

Make one!

http://lifehacker.com/5550029/diy-touch+screen-stylus-new-and-improved

Zodiak

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
Gatineau, Qc, Canada
Your two options are the Pogo Stylus and the Dagi Stylus, the better of the two options.

The Dagi Stylus seems to have an angled base that you can see through with a crossfire like pattern in the center so that you can actually SEE where your drawing. it also looks more pen-like then the others. It's more expensive but its the best stylus available, comes from Taiwan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfTeIIi79r8

lotusindigo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
The OP already mentioned that they weren't thrilled about the Dagi stylus. Probably it would have been more helpful to suggest alternatives that aren't the Dagi stylus?

OP, I've only tried the Pogo, but for me it works fine, although I've only used it for drawing purposes. Apparently the company that makes the Pogo is going to come out with a thinner version, possibly before the end of the week. That might be better for note-taking.

iGadgets

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2010
Sorry but I am going to revive this thread.

There are few threads floating around in regards to a good iPad stylus and it seems that there is no real consensus when it comes to which stylus is superior.

I have a small e-commerce site and after testing out some of the iPad stylus options out there, I went with the AluPen by Just Mobile.
It seems that the customers love it, since that is my best selling item. So, I decided to only carry the AluPen since it was such a favorite.

To add to that, the AluPen won the Spark 2010 International Design Awards. One of the Spark criteria is for the product to "promote better living through better design".

Here is a link: iPad stylus - AluPen
http://www.igadgetsmall.com/stylus-alupen.html

Plus, if you google AluPen stylus - you can find tons of info on it.

Cheers!

shadowness

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2010
i have been researching for a good stylus for the ipad for a long time now and i have rounded up these as the top ones,

Alupen, O-stylus and more people recommend the boxwave stylus (kinda similiar to alupen)

but i am leaning towards the alupen or the o-stylus, but can decide among the two!

still waiting for reviews here from people!

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I tried the pogo stylus and didn't like it. Find that I had to push way too hard. The Targus stylus available at Best Buy works much better. It still has a rounded tip but requires much less pressure. I also like the rounded barrel. The other one discussed in this thread looks like it would be uncomfortable for long writing or drawing projects.

iGadgets

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2010
It would be interesting to hear from other people that have experience with the AluPen and o-stylus!

i have been researching for a good stylus for the ipad for a long time now and i have rounded up these as the top ones,

Alupen, O-stylus and more people recommend the boxwave stylus (kinda similiar to alupen)

but i am leaning towards the alupen or the o-stylus, but can decide among the two!

still waiting for reviews here from people!

iGadgets

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2010
Some reviews:

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/12/08/tuaw-review-and-giveaway-just-mobile-alupen-stylus/

http://www.fluidtouch.biz/noteshelf/from-our-blog/how-do-i-write-stylus

http://www.beatweek.com/iphone/ipodiphoneitunes/7316-review-just-mobile-alupen-stylus-for-ipad/

Sorry but I am going to revive this thread.

There are few threads floating around in regards to a good iPad stylus and it seems that there is no real consensus when it comes to which stylus is superior.

I have a small e-commerce site and after testing out some of the iPad stylus options out there, I went with the AluPen by Just Mobile.
It seems that the customers love it, since that is my best selling item. So, I decided to only carry the AluPen since it was such a favorite.

To add to that, the AluPen won the Spark 2010 International Design Awards. One of the Spark criteria is for the product to "promote better living through better design".

Here is a link: iPad stylus - AluPen
http://www.igadgetsmall.com/stylus-alupen.html

Plus, if you google AluPen stylus - you can find tons of info on it.

Cheers!

ShawnP44

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2010
Fountain, CO
Hello, take a look at these styli http://www.beststylus.com/ the are basically pen bodies with a tip installed. The tip is amazing it takes very little pressure to activate the screen and glides smoothly without leaving any smudges on the screen. I have tried six or seven different styli before settling with one of these, I have their Camry model because it is the best model for note taking and drawing.

sciuro

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2010
I have a thin and a thick Dagi Stilus, and I like them both (actually, I've ordered just the bigger one, and those Dagi folks at Ebay sent me the slim one as a gift! That was nice!). I have (carefully! they seem to be rather easy to break!) bent the tip a little to make it correspond better to my natural writing angle, and now I use it a lot when making notes and adding highlighting etc in iAnnotate.

Sometimes I see that they are not "catching" the iPad surface, and then I just lick the inside surface of the tip curve :) sorry :) that fixes it instantly.

I like the transparency of the tip a lot. I work with small-font pdf files, so a big tip like the Pogo or Alupen would probably obstruct the view a lot, I'm afraid... Maybe I will try Alupen one day :)

drock

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2007
Hi all, I picked up the Targus stylus today at Best Buy, from what I understand it is very similar, if not identical, to some of the other styli such as the BoxWave, Griffin, etc

I'm liking it so far, only used it on the springboard and in some games (infinity Blade and Chaos Rings) and it's perfect.

Up next I'm going to use it on some sketches and writing notes, I'll post my results.

dhoff01

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2007
Hello, take a look at these styli http://www.beststylus.com/ the are basically pen bodies with a tip installed. The tip is amazing it takes very little pressure to activate the screen and glides smoothly without leaving any smudges on the screen. I have tried six or seven different styli before settling with one of these, I have their Camry model because it is the best model for note taking and drawing.

+1

I've tried the Dagi, box wave and pogo and this one is the best I've used for note taking apps. I admit the website had me questioning whether it was legit, but I love my "camry" stylus.

WPSam

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2010

Thanks

This is what we use in the office and they're awesome. Fine point great for hand writing. Not sure about drawing, we don't do much of that.

wedgepad_stylus.jpg

Happy Holidays,
Sam

deaddog

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
This is what we use in the office and they're awesome. Fine point great for hand writing. Not sure about drawing, we don't do much of that.

wedgepad_stylus.jpg

Happy Holidays,
Sam

That looks great but could you provide a name or link on where to get one?

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America

wedgepad_stylus.jpg

Happy Holidays,
Sam

On the iPad??? I didn't think that fine of a point would work on its screen. I'm currently using the pogo sketch and I thought that it's tip was the smallest that could be registered. Hope I'm wrong.

itzcoolz

macrumors regular
May 6, 2010

wedgepad_stylus.jpg

Happy Holidays,
Sam

if that stylus works for the iPad that is awesome! can you link to the product?

gnychis

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
got the alupen for xmas (thanks, santa!) and I really like it a lot. It fits nicely in your hand. It is bigger and thicker than i expected it to be, but it is very comfortable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.