Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Since they removed support, I've mostly used the Google Gmail app. I'm teetering on the verge of getting a paid gmail account ($1.99 a month), as I'm pushing up against the 15gb storage limit anyway. Getting push email to the default iOS Mail app would be the icing on the cake that'd compel me to start paying for the 100gb.

Note, I'm NOT interested in suggested workarounds re: push i.e. forwarding, iCloud, using Gmail app, using purely notifications then launching Mail app etc etc.

I only want to know if EAS support is restored if I get a paid gmail account, thanks.

EDIT: Found my answer, nope, need a Business account for EAS support.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well that's unfortunate that they couldn't provide that when you are even paying them.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
EDIT: Found my answer, nope, need a Business account for EAS support.

Yep...and a business account will cost you $5/month (or $50/yr) per actual email address (aliases for accounts are free) plus the cost of a domain name.

I think it's worth it to have hosted email with your own domain. No one can take your email address away from you and you can host it wherever you want.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Well that's unfortunate that they couldn't provide that when you are even paying them.
Its part of the Apple/Android war. Sabotage.

I use the Mailbox app. Its faster and more responsive than GMail app.

The DropBox integration for attachments is handy. The swipe to set timers is great. Fiance or someone sends me a video, cant watch due to busy at work, swipe to later. And I get notified to look again where normally Id forget. Its really quite fantastic.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Yep...and a business account will cost you $5/month (or $50/yr) per actual email address (aliases for accounts are free) plus the cost of a domain name.

I think it's worth it to have hosted email with your own domain. No one can take your email address away from you and you can host it wherever you want.

Yeah, I'm considering going down this route. The business account gives 30gb storage, which is easily enough for me given that only now, after nearly 10 years of gmail usage, I'm nearing the 15gb limit. After trying the alternatives, I just generally prefer the default Mail app (I'm quite a simple email user frankly, the merits of other apps may be attractive but are largely lost on me), and I really miss push in default Mail across all my devices.

The Gmail app is...okay, and a 100x better than it used to be, but it has it's niggles, such as swipe to reply on the lock screen only seems to work about 30% of the time for me, and I much prefer the default app's usage of screen real estate. Watching the keynote and seeing the improvements to default Mail in iOS8 got me a bit agitated that I no longer use it thanks to it being flaming Fetch only. Plus, despite the Gmail app now fully supporting background refresh, it's very hit and miss and I find myself waiting for emails to appear, which never happened with default Mail prior to ActiveSync support being pulled.

Last edited:

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Yeah, I'm considering going down this route. The business account gives 30gb storage, which is easily enough for me given that only now, after nearly 10 years of gmail usage, I'm nearing the 15gb limit. After trying the alternatives, I just generally prefer the default Mail app (I'm quite a simple email user frankly, the merits of other apps may be attractive but are largely lost on me), and I really miss push in default Mail across all my devices.

The Gmail app is...okay, and a 100x better than it used to be, but it has it's niggles, such as swipe to reply on the lock screen only seems to work about 30% of the time for me, and I much prefer the default app's usage of screen real estate. Watching the keynote and seeing the improvements to default Mail in iOS8 got me a bit agitated that I no longer use it thanks to it being flaming Fetch only. Plus, despite the Gmail app now fully supporting background refresh, it's very hit and miss and I find myself waiting for emails to appear, which never happened with default Mail prior to ActiveSync support being pulled.
Same. But I have 7 family members on our domain... So that gets expensive for me :'(. Miss activesync. Ive got an account reserved and prepped in the once free Microsoft Outlook.com domains system... For iOS8 mail, I may be porting out, forcing family to suffer transition, and closing my involvement with Google. But for now..l

Before you drop the dough, and can never go back to free. I encourage you to sample Dropbox's Mailbox.

Ive been very impressed. There is still sometimes a delay when opening, but its less painful. The UI is perfectly responsive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.