Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦
I'm trying to use my old iPad (mini 2), which doesn't have Lossless Music, with Airplay. I realize then that Airplay must be sending music as AAC, but is this 256kbps AAC, or is it less? I ask because audio from iPad is noticeably worse with Airplay vs. my Macbook Air

Is this an AAC thing, an iPad thing, an Air issue?

Crunchynut

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2022
Derby, England
I'm trying to use my old iPad (mini 2), which doesn't have Lossless Music, with Airplay. I realize then that Airplay must be sending music as AAC, but is this 256kbps AAC, or is it less? I ask because audio from iPad is noticeably worse with Airplay vs. my Macbook Air

Is this an AAC thing, an iPad thing, an Air issue?
AFIK the Airplay 1 standard has always been capable of 16/48 in a lossless ALAC file format, so I believe it is more than capable of sending AAC at maximum bit rate.

When you say that the iPad doesn’t have lossless music, do you mean because you have not loaded any or that it is incapable?

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦
AFIK the Airplay 1 standard has always been capable of 16/48 in a lossless ALAC file format, so I believe it is more than capable of sending AAC at maximum bit rate.

When you say that the iPad doesn’t have lossless music, do you mean because you have not loaded any or that it is incapable?

It's incapable

Crunchynut

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2022
Derby, England
Ah yes. I didn’t know that.

I started out with a 4th gen Mac mini which did ALAC so assumed it was always so.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.