Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dlouievel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2018
Hi all!
Super curious here so to keep it short.

Essential worker here in NY still soing in home/hospital visits with children. One of the hospitals require front and back of the phone to be sprayed with sanitizer lightly.

brand new iphone 12 mini, love this and hate to ruin it lol so worried if the alcohol spritz would damage the seal or “water resistancy”

heard alcohol may dry rubber and apple themselves stated when i contacted em that wipe or spray. Itll degrade it over time so we might all be screwed lol. But i assume it might be their unwillingness to say its water proof entirely.

if it makes any difference phone is in an apple leather case with screen protector.

thanks and stay safe ya’ll! ✌️

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Why not just dampen a paper towel with alcohol and wipe it down? You get better coverage and it’s more controlled. The healthcare workers I’ve seen sanitizing equipment. Have been using prepared alcohol wipes. Which is essentially the same

That’s what I do. I even tear the towel in half. So, I’m holding it with an alcohol end while wiping. Setting it on a clean dry towel. Until I wash my hands. To avoid any possibility of recontamination.

Anyways Apple says wipes are safe. They never said anything about spritzing. Which would have excess droplets.

As for the seal itself. I don’t know. Some sealants are more resistant than others. It all depends on what material is used for the seal.

Lyric9

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2021
I wouldn't ever put alcohol on my phone, I'm not worried about the water resistance, but I know it will tear down the oleophobic- and scratch resistant coating on your phone so it will look horribly smudged and scratched up even faster.
Just wash your hands before and after you use your phone and put it away while you work. Or just put a screen protector and a skin on it so that the parts you wear down are easily replaceable.

Reactions: LFC2020

Dlouievel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2018
Why not just dampen a paper towel with alcohol and wipe it down? You get better coverage and it’s more controlled. The healthcare workers I’ve seen sanitizing equipment. Have been using prepared alcohol wipes. Which is essentially the same

That’s what I do. I even tear the towel in half. So, I’m holding it with an alcohol end while wiping. Setting it on a clean dry towel. Until I wash my hands. To avoid any possibility of recontamination.

Anyways Apple says wipes are safe. They never said anything about spritzing. Which would have excess droplets.

As for the seal itself. I don’t know. Some sealants are more resistant than others. It all depends on what material is used for the seal.

I wouldn't ever put alcohol on my phone, I'm not worried about the water resistance, but I know it will tear down the oleophobic- and scratch resistant coating on your phone so it will look horribly smudged and scratched up even faster.
Just wash your hands before and after you use your phone and put it away while you work. Or just put a screen protector and a skin on it so that the parts you wear down are easily replaceable.
To answer both its not at all by my choice. Else i would opt to not utilize it at all. During visits this specific hospital has guidelines to spray your phone.

kind of dont have a choice situation

also yes i have a screen protector and case as per op

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Clean your hands before handling your phone. I work in a very dirty environment and keep my phone in a bag while working. Always wash my hands before touching my phone. Same when I cook or eat. Never handle my phone. I use alcohol wipes on my phone but it has a screen protector. Have never had an issue. I would not spray and wipe though.

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
To answer both its not at all by my choice. Else i would opt to not utilize it at all. During visits this specific hospital has guidelines to spray your phone.

If the hospital says you must spray your phone, I'd consider a waterproof case like the Lifeproof.

DanTSX

Suspended
Oct 22, 2013
It will impact any gasketting material, but I wouldn’t worry about it,

Dlouievel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2018
Clean your hands before handling your phone. I work in a very dirty environment and keep my phone in a bag while working. Always wash my hands before touching my phone. Same when I cook or eat. Never handle my phone. I use alcohol wipes on my phone but it has a screen protector. Have never had an issue. I would not spray and wipe though.
Yeah i do. Just given the requirement i dont have the choice to do so.
If the hospital says you must spray your phone, I'd consider a waterproof case like the Lifeproof.
Definately will consider it.
It will impact any gasketting material, but I wouldn’t worry about it,
Curious as to how? Might just not bring my phone around lol

HillCountry

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2016
What choice do you have? I can see a short life phone, an encased phone, an insured phone, or a dirty phone.

If you love the brand new mini, I'd consider a water proof case, locating an authorized apple phone repair ahead of the need, and/ or apple care+.

A plastic bag at work is a cheaper option.

This might help the phone and the wallet but is untested.

BFN

Dlouievel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2018
What choice do you have? I can see a short life phone, an encased phone, an insured phone, or a dirty phone.

If you love the brand new mini, I'd consider a water proof case, locating an authorized apple phone repair ahead of the need, and/ or apple care+.

A plastic bag at work is a cheaper option.

This might help the phone and the wallet but is untested.

BFN
Appreciate the help. Yeah even placing it in a bag seems like a no go.

i dont even think apple knows themselves. Via chat support they said alcohol would affect everyones water resistance but spray might be worse for some odd reason.

then i received a call today from apple directly. Rep told me it doesnt really matter and shouldnt affect it at all. ??‍♂️

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
I don’t know how disinfectants will affect the phone, but for what it’s worth; a friend of mine spilled her tequila all over my Mini. I rinsed it under the sink, let it dry for some hours, and it still works, and looks, perfectly (I don’t use a case, btw)... ?‍♂️

Reactions: Dlouievel

asus389

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2019
USA
Wiping with alcohol eventually ruined the seal on the screen of my 6s and caused liquid damage. But I mean I did it a lot, wasn't very careful, and probably used more alcohol than needed. The 6s also wasn't rated for water resistance. With a newer phone, I think you'd be fine if you used small alcohol wipes like the type used to prep for injections, just be careful around the buttons and ports etc. It will wear off the oleophobic coating faster, but it wears off anyways over time...

xnview

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2013
It will ruin the seal over time, but unless you dip it in alcohol as a daily routine, I believe it would take some years

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I've used 70% alcohol wipes almost everyday for over three years on my X and it still looks pristine. As far as water resistance, I would never submerge a brand new phone under water on purpose let alone an older phone so I have no idea if my X is still water resistant... Alcohol does break down adhesive but I believe you need to use 90-99% isopropyl alcohol for effective removal. 70% isopropyl is 30% water so it isn't nearly as destructive.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Having it misted probably will be more impactful, however, it's more about the concentration of alcohol or other solvents that will matter (which you probably won't determine and, more importantly, can't change anyway).

Nevertheless, this...
I've used 70% alcohol wipes almost everyday for over three years on my X and it still looks pristine. As far as water resistance, I would never submerge a brand new phone under water on purpose let alone an older phone so I have no idea if my X is still water resistant... Alcohol does break down adhesive but I believe you need to use 90-99% isopropyl alcohol for effective removal. 70% isopropyl is 30% water so it isn't nearly as destructive.
I've been using 70% (or 70% slightly further diluted) on a soft cloth for at least the past year and haven't seen any ill effects. Nor does such usage change my attitude about how "water resistant" my gadgets are.

As for the oleophobic coating... I hadn't read this claim until now but it seems true based on my observations.
If your device is a year or two old, don’t be surprised to find that the oleophobic coating is completely gone. The more you use your phone, the faster it wears away.
Prior to the isopropyl alcohol cleaning, I was using distilled water on a soft cloth followed by polishing with a Toddy cloth -- which I still do on my Watch screen/display. It has been many months since that method would thoroughly clean my iPhone X or even iPad (6th gen.) screens, i.e., not leave smears. (Yes, I clean my hands, and I don't like screen protectors.)

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Yeah i do. Just given the requirement i dont have the choice to do so.

Definately will consider it.

Curious as to how? Might just not bring my phone around lol

Get something like a supcase unicorn beetle which has port cover, mute switch cover and even in built protector (which even works over the top of another protector fine for me) and at least that way the phone case is the only thing getting a spraying and nothing leaking into the phone itself.

AppleSmurf

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2020

Glad you said it was not by choice, smh at some people.
Also don’t stress it. Your phone will hold up fine. I believe water resistance components are in the phone, not to much in the outside.

Dlouievel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2018
Wiping with alcohol eventually ruined the seal on the screen of my 6s and caused liquid damage. But I mean I did it a lot, wasn't very careful, and probably used more alcohol than needed. The 6s also wasn't rated for water resistance. With a newer phone, I think you'd be fine if you used small alcohol wipes like the type used to prep for injections, just be careful around the buttons and ports etc. It will wear off the oleophobic coating faster, but it wears off anyways over time...
Sounds good wish it was wipes lol
Id assume its 70% it happens once lr twice a month as im usually in homes rather than hospitals unless kt is a dire emergency.
Having it misted probably will be more impactful, however, it's more about the concentration of alcohol or other solvents that will matter (which you probably won't determine and, more importantly, can't change anyway).

Nevertheless, this...

I've been using 70% (or 70% slightly further diluted) on a soft cloth for at least the past year and haven't seen any ill effects. Nor does such usage change my attitude about how "water resistant" my gadgets are.

As for the oleophobic coating... I hadn't read this claim until now but it seems true based on my observations.

Prior to the isopropyl alcohol cleaning, I was using distilled water on a soft cloth followed by polishing with a Toddy cloth -- which I still do on my Watch screen/display. It has been many months since that method would thoroughly clean my iPhone X or even iPad (6th gen.) screens, i.e., not leave smears. (Yes, I clean my hands, and I don't like screen protectors.)
thabks for the breakdown and ykhr experience. Leaves me with a peace of mind with my new 12 mini. I mean all bets are off especially if u dropped it for example lol. I have a screenprotector so olephobic costing isnt a major concern but this has been the most elaborate answer!
Glad you said it was not by choice, smh at some people.
Also don’t stress it. Your phone will hold up fine. I believe water resistance components are in the phone, not to much in the outside.
Thanks so much appreciate this response. I wouldnt really be spraying my phone like that in the first place but hey they arent my policies lol

Reactions: AppleSmurf
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.