Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bichon

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
And the plan has to be one that supports the Apple watch, plus there are further limitations since Apple watch versions sold in different countries support different cellular bands. It's all pretty well documented on the Apple website: https://www.apple.com/watch/cellular/

Mcrumors David

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2014
No. Apple Watch currently only supports eSIMs that are attached to the iPhone cellular plan.

Too bad ...I was looking at the Ultra, that makes it useless to me since I am traveling alot (European countries are small💁🏼‍♀️)

Mcrumors David

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2014
And the plan has to be one that supports the Apple watch, plus there are further limitations since Apple watch versions sold in different countries support different cellular bands. It's all pretty well documented on the Apple website: https://www.apple.com/watch/cellular/

I saw that too, BUT, since I can buy (scan) any E-Sim from whatever company I please for my iPhone I thought it might work for the Apple Watch as well... shame

Atish

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2024
You need to check with Apple whether the esim provider is compatible with your watch. Like say for instance Better Roaming is an esim provider and they are compatible with cellular Watch Series 4 or later. Plus it has to be WatchOS 7 or later.

Atish

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2024
Better Roaming only supports 7 countries 👎🏻
Lol, curious to know where are you travelling currently? And usually how often do you travel.
Aren't any of these in your list?
  • Australia
  • France
  • Germany
  • Poland
  • Spain
  • United Kingdom
  • United States

Mcrumors David

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2014
Lol, curious to know where are you travelling currently? And usually how often do you travel.
Aren't any of these in your list?
  • Australia
  • France
  • Germany
  • Poland
  • Spain
  • United Kingdom
  • United States

Europe: Switzerland not on it, Austria, Skandinavia MIA ...basically why not just include EU but sure.
Asia: absolutely 0 coveradge. South america: 0.

Atish

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2024
Europe: Switzerland not on it, Austria, Skandinavia MIA ...basically why not just include EU but sure.
Asia: absolutely 0 coveradge. South america: 0.
Yeah I believe you are confusing Apple watch family setup plan of Better Roaming with thh seven countries. They support 160+ countries with their esim. And they are the cheapest apparently in Switzerland.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Too bad ...I was looking at the Ultra, that makes it useless to me since I am traveling alot (European countries are small💁🏼‍♀️

Would you not have your phone with you?

If you’re planning on using it as a standalone device that’s going to be a challenge, but even with the cellular models the primary data source is BT to the phone. Secondary is wifi. Cellular is for if neither of those two are available.

It’s not meant to be a phone replacement, it’s a phone accessory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.