Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steven SANH

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2023
Australia
I have a 14PM and have never used AirTags, so have some questions...

I plan on buying a pack of four. However once I initiate and set them up in the FindMy app; is there an option to disable the tracking feature when not needed? I ask this, as do they constantly use cellular data and slightly drain on the iPhone? It seems a cumbersome way to have to remove the AirTag battery.
I need some insight on AirTag experience! 🤔

Steven SANH

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2023
Australia
I’ve never noticed battery issues.
You’re over thinking it.
I'm new to Apple and iPhones and still have lots to learn. I've also read that AirTags only have a practical range of 10 meters. I'm wondering if Tile is a viable option?

Craig@theapplegeek

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2021
Stockport
AirTags use the find my network built in to Apple devices, you should stand a better chance of finding a lost item, compared to people with the Tile app installed.

Last edited:
Reactions: iDaniel88

thekidat

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2017
Bay Area, CA
I'm new to Apple and iPhones and still have lots to learn. I've also read that AirTags only have a practical range of 10 meters. I'm wondering if Tile is a viable option?
I recently just went on vacation and stuck an AirTag in my luggage. My bag got left behind at a previous airport, and I was able to open the Find My app and see exactly where it was. Since a lot of people have iPhones, it’s a robust network to find lost items. Worked perfectly, and I was able to tell the airline exactly where my bag was.

5gsumdae

macrumors member
May 4, 2020
I have a couple of vehicles stored remotely with AirTags and get a location update indicating they are still in place whenever someone with an iPhone is nearby.

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020

I plan on buying a pack of four. However once I initiate and set them up in the FindMy app; is there an option to disable the tracking feature when not needed? I ask this, as do they constantly use cellular data and slightly drain on the iPhone? It seems a cumbersome way to have to remove the AirTag battery.

For what it's worth, The amount of data used by FindMy is miniscule. I have 15 FindMy devices and 2 devices shared with me. In one months time FindMy has used 11MB of data.

You dont need to consider removing batteries from the Airtags, kind of defeats the purpose. There really isnt a practical reason to go with Tile. They are functionally similar (local range differences are negligible). The main practical difference is that Tiles only update when other people with the Tile app come in proximity, and Airtags work with any iOS device with FindMy enabled.

One feature the Tile has that the Airtags dont is the ability to press a button on the tile to find your phone (when in proximity). Not sure why apple didn't implement this useful feature.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slix

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
One feature the Tile has that the Airtags dont is the ability to press a button on the tile to find your phone (when in proximity). Not sure why apple didn't implement this useful feature.
I’d guess because Apple Watch already does this and Apple sure would like to sell you Apple Watch than an AirTag ☺️

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
To answer your question, yes you can disable the notifications on each one. Just label them using a sticker or Sharpie so you know which is which. When you add them to your account you give them a name. Then in the Find My (I think) app you can turn the notifications on or off for each one. I do this with one of mine that stays in my suitcase (also named “suitcase” in the app) as I only travel once or twice a year and otherwise it just “lives” in my closet.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008

The tags periodically send out a ping. That ping includes a randomized ID number, that changes every so often (so you can't be tracked by a their party looking for a ping with a specific serial number). Any Mac, iPhone, or iPad with an OS from the last couple years will hear that ping, and send that ID as well as the location of the receiving device to apple (the tags have no GPS or location abilities).

ANY recent apple product will forward the location pings, unless they have specifically opted out of participating in find my. Tiles are only updated by the tile app. So an AirTag will update location when almost any iPhone walks by. A Tile will only update when someone with the tile app (not sure if the app has to be open) is near. The range should be similar between the two devices, but tile has a MUCH smaller number of targets that will receive the ping.

If the tags are at your house, then more than likely, your phone won't be using cellular data, it will be on Wi-Fi.
The power usage is very minimal.

Reactions: MisterSavage

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016

AirTags do not use Wi-Fi or cellular/mobile phone networks. They are capable of using Bluetooth, Ultra-wideband (UW), and Near-Field Communication (NFC) to send and receive data. As such, AirTags, on their own, will not have any impact on cellular/mobile data usage limits.

The Find My app, on the other hand, does need a wired or wireless Internet connection to operate. So the amount of data used by Find My can be limited by closing the app when it isn't actively being used.

Or to go to an extreme, turn off access to cellular data for Find My completely (iOS: Settings > Cellular).

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
You cannot disable tracking but you can turn off notification or notify you except at specific location such as home (may require Significant Location to be enabled) or add new locations. I have notifications turned off since I don’t need to be reminded it’s left behind.

Steven SANH

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2023
Australia
If I share my AirTag with somebody else; does that mean they can locate my AirTag using the 'Find My' app on their iPhone? e.g. I left my wallet/purse at their house somewhere. Can they go look and locate it for me?

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
If I share my AirTag with somebody else; does that mean they can locate my AirTag using the 'Find My' app on their iPhone? e.g. I left my wallet/purse at their house somewhere. Can they go look and locate it for me?
Yes

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

The only batteries that get used are the ones inside the AirTags. You have the change them every year or so. They do not affect the iPhone, Mac, or iPad battery.

OK, maybe the Mac or iPhone uses slightly more power when. you are running the "find my" app but it is not enough to notice or measure. But you'd only run that app if you lost a device, like your iPhone or an AirTag.

profdraper

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Oh BS, they use other iPhones & so that user /owner can also find the tag quite easily. Faily useless for theft etc, ditto for lost airplane luggage & where the carrier takes zero notice of this, while Apple-faces sit around the phone and go 'oo ahh'... the best, rock solid option is a GPS tracker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.