Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joelovesapple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
UK
As per the question, does anybody use him/her? I still haven't found a valid reason to use it, only to play about with every now and then. I think it's pretty cool that it's there though in case I feel a need to use it haha.

PS I searched before posting and found no other like this. Thanks.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
As per the question, does anybody use him/her? I still haven't found a valid reason to use it, only to play about with every now and then. I think it's pretty cool that it's there though in case I feel a need to use it haha.

I have used Siri on the Mac only a few times. I kind of forget about it.

A side note, there has been a Siri-like feature on the Mac for as along as I have been using Macs since the mid 1990's.

In many ways, it was better than Siri. One better feature was the ability to name "Siri" whatever you wanted. The default name was "computer", but you could rename it.

It could be set to always listen, listen with a toggle press of a button, or listen with a button press. It could start and stop music, open apps, tell jokes, and much more. All this before Siri or the iPhone was thought of.

Reactions: joelovesapple

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
No. Not even once. First thing I disable. Same with Cortana on Windows. I edit group policies to get rid of Cortana on Windows. That is what my phone is for. ;)

an-other

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
Generally no. it's handy for calculations. Beats having to pull up the calculator app. I struggle with the calc app as my nerdish ways want to enter data with Reverse Polish notation. I invariably utter an expletive with frustration.

Jac Robinson

macrumors member
May 10, 2019
Yes, especially with more iPhone capabilities being added such as the ability to turn off Bluetooth. However, I would prefer an offline digital assistant for which I could make my own shortcuts because my internet is not the greatest. As of now, Siri only gets used when Spotlight is of no help. Siri is most useful to me when I need to search things while continuing to do video editing.

Last edited:

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2007
I may have used it once when the initial touchbar MBP were released, but that's it. Of course, I've only used Siri on all my iPhones maybe a dozen times total

Beachguy

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2011
Florida, USA

I have never touched Siri on my Macs. Honestly- I all but forget it's there. I never use it on my iPhone or iPads, either.

Reactions: Arcade

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Only for the occasional that's neat.
Probably used Siri less than 5 times.

I should play with it more for presentations.
Nothing makes presentations better than tech failing to open the proper thing.

"Hey Siri, open Security this, security that".
Nude secretaries from P0rnHub opens in Safari to audience.

Reactions: joelovesapple

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
Never used on Mac OS X. Have used in iOS for hands-free dialing when I used to commute.

Always entertaining to watch someone try to use it, especially if they haven't used it before.

benshive

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2017
United States
I have it turned on but I have the voice off and "Enable Type to Siri" toggled on in the accessibility settings. So basically I can summon her from the menu bar and type "weather" or a simple math problem or something else and get an answer. Basically not using the service as intended :')

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
I don't use Siri - my spoken English isn't good enough to make it do stuff in a manner that yields results.
I use British English locale with macOS because life is too short for localised Mac operating systems and I like my workflow to be smooth.
The danish Siri is better in recent updates. Both voices; male and female, previously sounded like two whales stuck in a vortex. Awful to listen to. What am I to ask of Siri that I can't do with my knowledge of using macOS in all its variations through the years just by grabbing my mouse and typing. Siri, Open fridge, grab food, put on pan, cook food, serve me the cooked food, set timer to 1 hour.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.