Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NotFound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
So, I was one of those fortunate/unfortunate ones who purchased the iPod Touch (16GB) when they were initially released. Fast forward to January, iPod Software Update #1 for new applications comes around so I shell out the $20 (correct me if I'm wrong, I believe it was $20?). That's all fine and good... not to hate on those who were smart and waited on the January Software Update but the Jan. Software Update is now being taken offline and the applications included for this are being rolled into the iPod Touch 2.0 software Source.

So I guess I feel a little disappointed that I first shelled out $400 to begin with for my lovely and wonderful iPod Touch 16GB, then $20 for a software upgrade, and now if I want my 2.0 software I must shell out another $10 while people who bought an original iPhone for less $$$ get the update for free....

/End rant

aerospace

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
Apple is in business to make money :eek: (shhh! dont tell).

IMHO I'd sell the touch and get an iphone even if you don't signup for contract. Several benefits and prices are likely similar now.

NotFound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
I don't want an iPhone, I'm happy with my T Mobile Sidekick LX and much cheaper rate plans even if it doesnt come with a touch screen... Apple may be in the business to make money but until now they were always in the business of keeping me happy as well...

/End whine

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I bought an iPod Touch for my wife in May knowing there would be the $10 update in the Summer. She's a professor, and it's totally worth it to her to get used to her iPod (she's using it as a PDA) before the school year starts and she needs to be scheduling tons of appointments.

The $10 upgrade is not required. You could always do without -- you'd have the same iPod you bought last year.

NotFound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
I bought an iPod Touch for my wife in May knowing there would be the $10 update in the Summer. She's a professor, and it's totally worth it to her to get used to her iPod (she's using it as a PDA) before the school year starts and she needs to be scheduling tons of appointments.

The $10 upgrade is not required. You could always do without -- you'd have the same iPod you bought last year.

That doesn't justify why people who bought the 8GB first gen iPhone at a cheaper price get the upgrade free and I dont...

next please...

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
I bitched when I bought a $600 8GB iPhone, and 2 months later they dropped the price $200!
The people who said I was an idiot for bitching were right. When i bought my iPhone I thought is was worth the $600, (and I still do).

You thought the $20 upgrade was worth it. Now if believe the new $10 upgrade is worth it, then buy it. If not then you still have the iPod that you thought was worth the money you paid for it to get to the way you have it now.

Besides, blame SOX, not Apple!

tomccabe

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
That doesn't justify why people who bought the 8GB first gen iPhone at a cheaper price get the upgrade free and I dont...

next please...

um the first gen iphone was $600 and subsequently lowered to $400. what about your ipod touch makes it worth more than every other touch sold?
oh and that's only for 8 gigs. and we pay phone/data plans that kickback to apple.

quitcher' whinin'!!!

NotFound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
um the first gen iphone was $600 and subsequently lowered to $400. what about your ipod touch makes it worth more than every other touch sold?
oh and that's only for 8 gigs. and we pay phone/data plans that kickback to apple.

quitcher' whinin'!!!

Pretty sure I never said my ipod touch was gold plated or worth anymore than anyone elses... but I'm sure everyone else in my situation is also wondering why they must pay as well.

tomccabe

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
Pretty sure I never said my ipod touch was gold plated or worth anymore than anyone elses... but I'm sure everyone else in my situation is also wondering why they must pay as well.

you said:

"I first shelled out $400 to begin with for my lovely and wonderful iPod Touch 16GB...people who bought an original iPhone for less $$$"

the first 2 gen iphones we $400-600 and we had to pay activation and plans on top of it. so again, what makes your $400 ipod touch more expensive than a $400-600+ iphone?

elistar

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
I did the same thing, I bought the ipod touch 16 GB when it was released and I kind of feel stupid for doing that because now they are selling it for a cheaper price. Is it true that the new software upgrade 2.0 will include the iphone apps too?

jlblodgett

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
I bought an iPhone in September for $399.
I then paid AT&T about $75 a month for cellular service.

So since September - I've paid over $1,000 for my iPhone.

No, I don't feel bad for you having to pay $10 for your software upgrade.

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
Well you could have waited. The bottom line is, when you are the first to purchase a product (in this case, the update), you are paying a premium to do so. If you had waited a little while to see what would happen, you wouldn't have had to. If you want something while its hot and new, you are going to pay more for it, plain and simple. I payed $20 for the update and think it was worth every penny, and I have no problem paying $10 to access a next generation platform that will give me some of the most sophisticated apps ever put on a handheld device.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
I bought an iPhone in September for $399.
I then paid AT&T about $75 a month for cellular service.

So since September - I've paid over $1,000 for my iPhone.

No, I don't feel bad for you having to pay $10 for your software upgrade.

also remember that part of the $75 you pay a month goes to apple, this is where SOX comes in...

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina

next please...

If you're so upset, just sell your iPod touch and buy an iPhone. You could probably get at least the $199 you'd need to buy the iPhone.

Then instead of paying $10 for your upgrade, all you'd have to do is pay $70 per month for the iPhone service.

toxicbomber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2006
If you're so upset, just sell your iPod touch and buy an iPhone. You could probably get at least the $199 you'd need to buy the iPhone.

Then instead of paying $10 for your upgrade, all you'd have to do is pay $70 per month for the iPhone service.

And that's the end of that story. :D

island

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2007
Nashville

Very true. So think of it like your saving $70 a month sans the $20 for the update if you keep your Touch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.