Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
I don't like how in El Captain they totally did away with the background blur. My guess is they couldn't get performance up to par to what they liked with it like that, so they cut back on blur. I do wish they added back a little bit of blur though. I noticed the lockscreen blur seems less frosted, so maybe less frosted blur gives better performence?

hojx

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2014
Singapore
I'm used to the blur but I can get used to working without it.

I was more annoyed by the top Spaces bar being collapsed by default. I like using full-screen apps and would greatly prefer having the preview visible when I enter Mission Control.

Last edited:
Reactions: profets and !!!

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
I would prefer having the blur as well but I could get used to it.

I was more annoyed by the top Spaces bar being collapsed by default. I like using full-screen apps and would greatly prefer having the preview visible when I enter Mission Control.
Oh yes I forgot to bring that up. I'm not sure of it's my trackpad speed or what but when my mouse curser goes to the collapsed bar, it opens up and my mouse cursers is over the top of the fullscreen or desktop preview.

Reactions: !!!

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008

Yep, this is a really bad design decision.

The blur itself was annoying. To me it always felt too heavy, like a thick layer that was put on top. I like how it looks in El Capitan. The blur effect is too resource intensive and Apple got carried away.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
At first, I liked the blur. Now that it's gone I realize how unnecessary it: it's jarring.
The fact that removing it helped achieve better framerates is even better.

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
I think there should be some blur, have the Windows right on the desktop image makes it look messy.

Reactions: Liam555

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I wasn't a fan of the blur. I like the new mission control :)

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'm used to the blur but I can get used to working without it.

I thought that was weird at first, but after about 5 minutes of using it, I got used to it.

Reactions: Liam555

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
The fact that removing it helped achieve better framerates is even better.

Applying gaussian blurs is a really intensive process. It wasn’t that long ago that Photoshop needed a progress barber this when applying a blur to an image. The OS does this on the fly but it’s still a lot more resource heavy than transparency.

I think there should be some blur, have the Windows right on the desktop image makes it look messy.

I disagree, it looks less messier now. Your windows are always hovering over your desktop anyway. Makes perfect sense to do it like this.

Liam555

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2014
Personally, I much prefer this new Mission Control. Looks much cleaner and works great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.