Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bosternou9

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2021
The lid of the case or my AirPods Pro has a bit of a wiggle. it closes no problem, but then even when handling the case gently you can feel it’s not a solid piece of plastic like the AirPods 1 felt.
Aside from being a bit ADD, I wonder if there is a long term concern with the case lid getting worse over time.

I read online many have the same issue.

Does anyone on here have a case for the pro where the lid doesn’t wiggle at all?

Bosternou9

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2021
Never noticed until you mentioned it. Thanks.
Sorry.. i hope you are in the group of those who won’t be bothered by it.. if you hadn’t noticed before this might be the case.

I noticed it within 10 minutes from unboxing them!

I want to understand if they are all the same - by design (flaw).. which could be the case

Reactions: bsamcash

bsamcash

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
San Jose, CA
I want to understand if they are all the same - by design (flaw).. which could be the case
I suspect it's by design to prevent the metal hinges from freezing up due to being more likely exposed to the elements. Or that's my ad hoc rationalization.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
The lid of the case or my AirPods Pro has a bit of a wiggle. it closes no problem, but then even when handling the case gently you can feel it’s not a solid piece of plastic like the AirPods 1 felt.
Aside from being a bit ADD, I wonder if there is a long term concern with the case lid getting worse over time.

Does anyone on here have a case for the pro where the lid doesn’t wiggle at all?
Just got my Pro's last week and the lid feels the same.. It's not a wiggle, it just doesn't feel as solid due to the size of the plastic lid. Not sure if it's thinner plastic or the size difference. It's been mentioned before in other past threads, just the way they're made.

Last edited:

darkus

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
My pair are really old. But the lid is very solid. And I’ve used them ALOT

marinersaptcomplex

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2021
The hinge is metal. If it didn't wriggle a tiny bit it would become too stiff when the metal slightly expands due to temp changes.

Bosternou9

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2021
No wiggle on mine…had them a few months
Maybe we all mean something different by wiggle. The AirPods 1’s case is rock solid. And I think that’s helped by the fact it’s a smaller lid - so it can be kept in place by the magnet.
The AirPods Pro’s lid doesn’t move around as such. But as you handle it, you can feel that small movement left and right or a slight turning movement. Nothing that will break it I hope - but definitely not as stable as the old AirPods 1.

Bosternou9

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2021
No wiggle on mine…had them a few months
You sure? With the AirPods’ lid closed, try to move it slightly from left to right and then try to turn the lid clockwise (very lightly). Youlll feel the lid doesn’t stay rock solid (like the old AirPods did).

Bosternou9

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2021
My pair are really old. But the lid is very solid. And I’ve used them ALOT
You sure? With the AirPods’ lid closed, try to move it slightly from left to right and then try to turn the lid clockwise (very lightly). Youlll feel the lid doesn’t stay rock solid (like the old AirPods did).

darkus

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Why would I do that? It’s like you are trying to find faults. I have never once in normal use try to rotate the top like that.

I listen tomusic and then put the buds in the case in order to charge them, close the lid. Rinse and repeat.

It’s a piece of plastic meant to hold my buds and charge them. Not to survive a moon landing.

Reactions: scrane

bigshot

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2021
I have a leather case that goes over my APP case. That might help make the hinge seem more solid. Got it at Amazon.

But darkus is right. Don't pick at your sores, they'll never heal.

Reactions: Bosternou9

Bosternou9

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2021
Why would I do that? It’s like you are trying to find faults. I have never once in normal use try to rotate the top like that.

I listen tomusic and then put the buds in the case in order to charge them, close the lid. Rinse and repeat.

It’s a piece of plastic meant to hold my buds and charge them. Not to survive a moon landing.
Fair point :)

Let’s just say, I noticed it within 10 minutes from unwrapping them. And many people I am realising noticed it too. So my assumption at this point is that it’s how they are made, which would convince me to say - no need to replace them.

If some report theirs don’t do it though, it makes me wonder, is it because there are some which are actually better built, or are some people just less fussed and anal about it (and don’t have any other case - eg old AirPods - to compare it against)?
Hence my rather strange description of how you would likely be able to do it. Since when I do that with my old AirPods’ case, the lid stays solid.

But at this point never mind me :)

Reactions: darkus

coffee06

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2021
No wiggle on mine…I checked again. But who‘s to say which are better made, with or without a tiny wiggle. Maybe temp related too…some wiggle would be expected with temp changes I guess. Love my Airpod Pros.

MyDogPia

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2017
Phoenix

Yes!

bearinthetown

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2018
i just got the 3rd gen. Before, I've had 1st and 2nd gen and they did not have that issue. It seems, however, like it's "normal" for 3rd gen and Pro to wobble like this, sadly. All of these stories trying to justify this are rubbish. The truth is that Apple cut costs again and made the case worse quality than it was. It really is not a rocket science to make a solid opening piece of plastic that is also durable outside. But it probably costs a few cents more to make.

I hope someone answers this topic too - are there any examples of the 3rd gen not having this problem? Today I checked a few from my friends and all of their Airpods cases wobbled like that. I wonder if it makes sense to try to replace it. Apple consultant will obviously suggest that even if they are all faulty. That's Apple for you.

Anyone with a solid 3rd gen lid, like it used to be in the 1st and the 2nd?

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Are your AirPods Pro gen 1 or gen 2 and did you buy them close to the release date? I bought my AirPods Pro gen 1 several months after launch and the hinge was impressively rock solid, absolutely zero wiggle. My launch day gen 2 APP lid was so much looser I ended up exchanging them a week later. It was so loose the satisfying 'snap' of closing them sounded tinny and hollow, it sounds ridiculous to complain about the snap close action but it was so satisfying I couldn't live with a poor quality case. The replacement lid was a lot better but not literally ZERO wiggle like my gen 1.

So maybe it's a matter of waiting for stealth updates to the manufacturing process that iron out any small kinks. Plenty of people apply this logic to iPhones and wait a couple months before buying the new one so I don't see why that doesn't apply to other Apple products too.

Why’s the case not aluminium?

Plastic is cheaper and the margins on AirPods are unbelievable because of it. From a business POV it's an amazing product.

Evil Lair

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2013
I just picked up my very first pair of Airpods, the Airpods Pro gen2 this weekend. I noticed it straight out of the box after marveling how small the case was, and before opening it for the first time. The lid hinge has a small amount of left/right movement that is just enough to feel like something isn't right and sloppy, definitely not something up to Apple's standards. It even makes a little clicking sound when you wiggle it back and forth. It's not something you need to deliberately do to have it happen, just picking up the case and handling it causes the movement/clicking sound.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.