Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OneGrit

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2021
Richmond, British Columbia
Want to hear your experience with it. Seems like the only offering from a US-based brand that isn't ridiculously priced (the only others on the market right now are Bodyguardz which just so happens to be AT&T exclusive, UAG and ZAGG). Heard their customer service is good (sounds better than some bigger brands to me) which leaves me wondering about the product.

oneflipgguy

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
San Diego
I normally go for ESR but they’d been out of stock for too long and I couldn’t wait to not have anything on my mini so I took a chance on one by Apiker and it works. Haven’t had any problems.

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
I am using amFilm on my iPhone and they are great. Actually better than my previously expensive Belkin. They cover more of the screen. I don’t have them for my iPad but can say they make quality items.

oneflipgguy

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
San Diego
I am using amFilm on my iPhone and they are great. Actually better than my previously expensive Belkin. They cover more of the screen. I don’t have them for my iPad but can say they make quality items.
I like amFilm too. Used them for other apple devices and Nintendo switch screen!

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Want to hear your experience with it. Seems like the only offering from a US-based brand that isn't ridiculously priced (the only others on the market right now are Bodyguardz which just so happens to be AT&T exclusive, UAG and ZAGG). Heard their customer service is good (sounds better than some bigger brands to me) which leaves me wondering about the product.
I have that in my pro 12.9 and 11. It’s fine, it works and good quality with easy installation frame.

OneGrit

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2021
I was waiting for Spigen to come out with their frame-mount for the Mini 6 - sure worked nicely with my 12 Pro Max.
Same, but all they gave us was a paper touch thing. I know Power Support films are about to drop but I would much rather have a Spigen or Belkin glass. I actually have a set of Amfilms now but I'm not sure if I should leave it for now and wait for the Power Support film (which I would actually use) - my friend put amfilm on his and it increased the weight quite a bit.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I understand that the mini 6 has the least reflective glass so it’s shame to cover the glass That increases reflectivity.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I understand that the mini 6 has the least reflective glass so it’s shame to cover the glass That increases reflectivity.

Reflectivity was the reason I removed the protector from my 12.9 Pro. If there was light on my face and the screen image was darker, it was like looking in a mirror and was quite distracting when watching dark videos in combo with black borders.

OneGrit

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2021
yeah, I honestly might end up taking it off and ordering the Power Support film when it releases on the 22nd. I hope using the alcohol wipe included with the Amfilm didn't do any harm to the anti reflective coating. Welp, those words were unnecessary because apple themselves said you could safely clean it with alcohol or Clorox.

Last edited:

Bromeo

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2015
Near Seattle
Applied the amFilm matte glass screen protector to my iPad Mini 6. I really didn't want to cover that beautiful high-contrast low-reflectivity screen, but I use the mini primarily in the cockpit of my two-seat airplane. Since that's a pretty cozy space, the iPad is mounted vertically off to the side.

Unfortunately, Apple rotated the native direction of the display by 90-degrees compared to the previous iPad Mini 4 that I had. The old iPad was "native" in portrait, so also the natural compatibility with polarized sunglasses. Now the Mini 6 is "native" in landscape orientation, and the display dims a bit in portrait when wearing polarized sunglasses. It turns out putting a matte screen protector on scatters the polarization, so the display is just as bright in either orientation when wearing polarized sunglasses. Yay.

I suspect this change is the same one that made the infamous "jelly scrolling" more obvious. My old iPad exhibited that effect in landscape mode. The new one does it in portrait mode. Doesn't bother me... all displays have their quirks.

All that said, if it weren't for my specific requirement, I wouldn't use the screen protector. The Mini 6 has one of the best glass coatings I've seen yet: low reflectivity, oleophobic, and high contrast. The matte screen protector definitely ruins a lot of that.

Reactions: sparksd
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.