Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stanman64

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
Anyone know what make and model of car is used in all of the demo photos on Apple's CarPlay website?

http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

I would buy that car just for that sexy dashboard. It looks fantastic IMO. Simple yet elegant and extremely functional.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Anyone know what make and model of car is used in all of the demo photos on Apple's CarPlay website?

http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

I would buy that car just for that sexy dashboard. It looks fantastic IMO. Simple yet elegant and extremely functional.
As Jukens said, VW. That is a Golf/GTI/R. Got a GTI myself, but wasn't patient enough to wait for a 2016 to come out, so I don't have CarPlay. Still love my 2015 though!

Reactions: stanman64

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
if you then step up a BMW it's even better-er

I've never heard anyone liking a BMW dash over Audi... Power of the BMW engines, yes, but never the dash.

I think BMW's Red DIS looks aged, my Audi has a beautiful colorful DIS, even at an '08, passengers think it is much newer...

Last edited:

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I've never heard anyone liking a BMW dash over Audi... Power of the BMW engines, yes, but never the dash.

I think BMW's Red DIS looks aged, my Audi has a beautiful colorful DIS, even at an '08, passengers think it is much newer...

the way Audi uses plastic in my opinion is not as appealing as BMW, who tends to not use as much black plastic, and if they do, very inconspicuously.

I'm talking about X5 vs Q7 level.

at the basic 3 series vs. A3/A4 level I'd say they're on par.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
My 2008 A4 interior:
A4-7.jpg

A4-5.jpg

At night with my aftermarket air vent boost gauge:
7e933c866b8f69655ce285d788bc18d0_zps0b7301d9.jpg

aldrinjtauro

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2014
Birmingham, AL
Yeah, BMW's ConnectedDrive iDrive screens aren't too good either. They're functional, but I find it hard to use while driving, due to the strange rotating wheel navigation, as well as the complex UI.

Hermes Monster

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2010
UK
I have the new A4 with CarPlay - having toyed with (and driven) getting an X1 or X3 for the past few months, I can safely say the interior destroys anything those BMWs are offering right now

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
I have the new A4 with CarPlay - having toyed with (and driven) getting an X1 or X3 for the past few months, I can safely say the interior destroys anything those BMWs are offering right now

It has for a while... But die hard BMW fans will never admit it. BMWs are far more fun to drive (in perfect weather), Audis are far more fun to drive in wet/snow (to me FWD audis are just mistakes) and Audi has a better, well thought out interior.

Hermes Monster

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2010
UK
It has for a while... But die hard BMW fans will never admit it. BMWs are far more fun to drive (in perfect weather), Audis are far more fun to drive in wet/snow (to me FWD audis are just mistakes) and Audi has a better, well thought out interior.

Would agree with this. The new model feels like they've stepped out of the race to make the best car to drive (handling wise) and instead focused on comfort and refinement. They've succeeded brilliantly. Materials used are top quality, very little cabin noise, powerful processor in the MMI unit, touch sensitive physical buttons, crystal clear displays ... it all makes a lovely driving experience.

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
Imo, the current F3x has inferior design compared to E9x in terms of material and design. Yes, E9x had quirks (iDrive hump, etc), but I love the use of organic lines and generous amount of wood (I'm a "wood" person...). I wouldn't say it looked sporty or edgy, but at least it felt pleasant in a relaxed way. I've always thought Audi interior felt a bit cold and stark, which I believe is German charm. But at least for this generation, B9's interior trumps F3x. It looks classy and futuristic while also keeping that , well, cold German charm. Out of all the compact sedans, I like the W205's interior the most. I love the smooth waterfall dash, and it's got wood! I don't know why but I like looking at the door panel with red leather and ashwood trim. Something about it is very aesthetically pleasing...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.