Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
Anything I find on the subject it mentions that it will change with the iPhone 13 or that IOS 15 will have a default setting that will eliminate the lens glare issue.

Is my issue lens glare or a flare or something else? It's an iPhone 13 Pro Max, I have IOS 15+ installed, but still get this ghosting of any light source and the worst part is that it usually follows the subject of the video.

This is just a sample from tonight, I film nearly every night that there's a decent sunset and it's a constant problem no matter what I try. If there is an app, or camera lens filter or whatever, even if it costs money that will solve or improve the issue, I'm interested to know.

Thanks!

admwright

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2008
Scotland
A lot of lenses will flare when there is a bright light source in the frame. The traditional way is to use a lens hood and have the light source just outside the frame. Not really usable for a phone though. The other way is to use something to block the light across the lens, even your hand will work to throw a shadow across the lens and block the flare.
If you are wanting to have the light in the frame and it gives flare you try to use it for 'artistic' effect.

Reactions: Turnpike

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
there are lens hoods for different application available for the iPhone - usually round are most often used with standard and telephoto lenses. Petal and square shapes are mostly used with wide-angle lenses.

I do not know to what extend they are able to reduce lens flare on iPhone >=12.

EDIT: maybe you like to improvise one for your iPhone yourself using black cardbord and see wether you can improve your videos/photos.

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
I didn't even realize there was such a thing, I just ordered one from Amazon and I'll follow up with how it works out.

Thanks for the input!

Attachments

• iPhone hood.jpg
    iPhone hood.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 251
Reactions: Boyd01

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
>Anything I find on the subject it mentions that it will change with the iPhone 13 or that IOS 15 will have a default setting that will eliminate the lens glare issue.

No this is BS. Lens flares are caused by light directly hitting the lens and all lenses experience it. As others said you need to use a hood (or use your hand to cover it) so the light doesn't hit directly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.