Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
I can't believe how many hours I've spent over the past few years to get one bloody lightbulb to work.

I have a very simple setup. One lightbulb. Two outlets. That's it. The router is a Apple AirPort Extreme. It is extremely reliable. The Yeelight has a static IP address.

I am away from home quite a bit so I need a bulb that will stay connected and responding to automations without having to be power-cycled or reset all the time.

The first bulb I bought was a generic that was hopeless.

Then I bought a Yeelight 1S. It also turned out to be hopeless. It would constantly disconnect and have to be power-cycled to reconnect. I stuck it in a drawer and bought a KooGeek.

The KooGeek was also hopeless. After a power outage it would default to "ON". So, if I'm away from home and there is an outage the bulb would stay on at 100% bright 24/7 until I got home. Crazy. But, I put up with it. On Monday this week the KooGeek started continuously flashing and can't be reset. Into the bin it went.

So, I dug out the old Yeelight 1S. What a mess it is.

I was able to add it to HomeKit and then to the Yeelight iPhone app. I then recalled that I had installed HomeBridge on an RPi. I opened it up and there's the light. I also installed the yeecli and was happy to see that I could turn the light on and off from the command line. (Nothing else worked, just turn [on/off] and toggle.)

And then things started to fall apart. I could turn the bulb ON from HomeBridge. But not off. The cli stopped working. The light was shown as not responding on the YeeLight app. Oddly, it still worked via HomeKit, but not consistently. Sometimes it is shown as not responding.
This morning I'm out for coffee. When I left, the bulb was working with HomeKit. After finishing the newspaper and just to make myself angry I checked the Home app on my iPhone. Sure enough, the Yeelight is shown as not responding.

When I got home I checked to make sure it's connected to the network:

Port Scan has started… Port Scanning host: 192.168.0.127 Open TCP Port: 55443 Port Scan has completed…

That's a scan from Apple's Network Utility.

The only way to get it back in HomeKit was to unscrew the bulb and then screw it back in again.

But, the cli still doesn't work. It just hangs forever no matter what command you use:

MrMuscle:~ mnewman$ yee status Bulb parameters: ^C Aborted!

Yes, after waiting fifteen minutes I hit ^C.

Someone suggested the I try a Phillips bulb. But a single bulb costs about 2000 baht and the required hub another 2000. Do I really want to spent US$120 for a lightbulb?

The solution I've come up with is to screw a single ordinary LED bulb into my lamp outlet and use a HomeKit outlet to turn it on and off. And, surprise, surprise, the Koogeek HomeKit outlets seem to be 100% reliable. I've never had one stop responding.

Any better ideas?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
Since you say Baht, I'm assuming you're in thailand.
I'm not sure what's available there, but

ikea has decent smart bulbs, and they're comparatively cheap. They are limited though, some models have no color changing at all, and others have 3 steps of color temperature. These have a hub that must be plugged into ethernet. (a quick look at the Thai website doesn't show them, not sure what that means)

nano leaf's new bulbs are also pretty cheap and have full color, they'll work over bluetooth, so if you're not home, you'll need whatever you're using as the home hub to be physically close to them (same room or next). With a HomePod mini, they'll use a new wireless spec called thread that has much more range. They work without thread, but work better with it. Other devices are coming that will work in place of the HPmini.

the LiFX bulbs mentioned above connect to your home wifi, no hub needed. found a post saying Lazada might sell them in Thailand.

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
Since you say Baht, I'm assuming you're in thailand.
I'm not sure what's available there, but

ikea has decent smart bulbs, and they're comparatively cheap. They are limited though, some models have no color changing at all, and others have 3 steps of color temperature. These have a hub that must be plugged into ethernet. (a quick look at the Thai website doesn't show them, not sure what that means)

nano leaf's new bulbs are also pretty cheap and have full color, they'll work over bluetooth, so if you're not home, you'll need whatever you're using as the home hub to be physically close to them (same room or next). With a HomePod mini, they'll use a new wireless spec called thread that has much more range. They work without thread, but work better with it. Other devices are coming that will work in place of the HPmini.

the LiFX bulbs mentioned above connect to your home wifi, no hub needed. found a post saying Lazada might sell them in Thailand.
I am in Thailand. Availability is quite limited. The bulbs that Ikea sells here do require a hub which raises the price of a single bulb significantly. Lazada seems to have only one LiFX bulb. It is not color, but it's only 600 baht (US$18.00) so I may give it a shot.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply.

Last edited:

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
Here's how frustrating this has been. Last night the Yeelight seemed to be working with HomeKit. I could control it from my iPhone. It turned on at sunset, as scheduled. Later, the bulb brightened, as scheduled. Even later the bulb dimmed and turned blue, as scheduled. This morning at sunrise if failed to turn off. In the Home app on my iPhone it is tagged "No Response".

And, yet, here it is on the LAN with the appropriate port open:

Port Scan has started… Port Scanning host: 192.168.0.127 Open TCP Port: 55443 Port Scan has completed…

Grrrrr

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
The bulbs have worked flawlessly for me. No hub required.

+1 for VOCOlinc. Same company I recommended above.

The VOCOlinc app also has some cool light bulb effects (one being candlelight flicker) that you can get into HomeKit with the Eve app.

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
The VOCOlinc looks fine. The only VOCOlinc products I can find here in Thailand area a smart plug and a tulip shaped desk lamp. Amazon wants US$18 to ship the lightbulb to Thailand. And, the VOCOlinc bulb Amazon sells is 110 volts. I need 220.

Conutz

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2014
Joburg
I have a couple of Eve controllers (outlets) running via Apple TV - they’re okay, if a bit laggy on demand. Expensive for what they are though.

But...I also have these relays installed at various points in my light switches and wall sockets. These are controlled through HomeKit by Homebridge running on on a Raspberry Pi 4, all on my home network. They work very well and on a schedule too. Very handy devices, allowing control of existing lights. Overall, it’s an inexpensive solution, especially as outlets/switches increase. Homebridge supports a wide variety of devices.

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
I've been a Homebridge user for quite a while. I originally installed the command line version on a Mac, but now I have the GUI version running on a Pi4. I installed it in order to control a WiFi (non HomeKit) enabled outlet that turned my water pump on and off. That outlet had an embedded web server, so at first I could just do something like this:

http://192.168.0.55/cgi-bin/relay.cgi?off

After Apple came out with HomeKit and then Homebridge appeared it was a lot easier to integrate it that way. It has now been replaced by a very reliable KooGeek outlet that works well with HomeKit.

I installed a Homebridge Plugin for the YeeLight, but it still didn't work very well.

Those Shelly relays seem to have a good reputation for reliability.

I wish I could say the same about HomeKit and HomeKit devices.

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
I use 2 LIFX bulbs and have zero issues.
I ended up buying aLIFX Mini "warm white" bulb. I had to do two factory resets to get the bulb recognized by HomeKit but after that it was smooth sailing. (I never could get the IFIX iOS app to install it, but Apple's Home worked just fine. After installing with Home the bulb appeared in the IFIX app.)

After 48 hours it's working fine, has not gone into a "no response" state and responds correctly to automations.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Reactions: FHoff

malizivko

macrumors member
May 4, 2012
If your setup does not work out, look into Sengled. I have total of 16 lightbulbs and i have had zero issues so far.....not a single one for over a year.

LindaR

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2013
I can't believe how many hours I've spent over the past few years to get one bloody lightbulb to work.

I have a very simple setup. One lightbulb. Two outlets. That's it. The router is a Apple AirPort Extreme. It is extremely reliable. The Yeelight has a static IP address.

I am away from home quite a bit so I need a bulb that will stay connected and responding to automations without having to be power-cycled or reset all the time.

The first bulb I bought was a generic that was hopeless.

Then I bought a Yeelight 1S. It also turned out to be hopeless. It would constantly disconnect and have to be power-cycled to reconnect. I stuck it in a drawer and bought a KooGeek.

The KooGeek was also hopeless. After a power outage it would default to "ON". So, if I'm away from home and there is an outage the bulb would stay on at 100% bright 24/7 until I got home. Crazy. But, I put up with it. On Monday this week the KooGeek started continuously flashing and can't be reset. Into the bin it went.

So, I dug out the old Yeelight 1S. What a mess it is.

I was able to add it to HomeKit and then to the Yeelight iPhone app. I then recalled that I had installed HomeBridge on an RPi. I opened it up and there's the light. I also installed the yeecli and was happy to see that I could turn the light on and off from the command line. (Nothing else worked, just turn [on/off] and toggle.)

And then things started to fall apart. I could turn the bulb ON from HomeBridge. But not off. The cli stopped working. The light was shown as not responding on the YeeLight app. Oddly, it still worked via HomeKit, but not consistently. Sometimes it is shown as not responding.
This morning I'm out for coffee. When I left, the bulb was working with HomeKit. After finishing the newspaper and just to make myself angry I checked the Home app on my iPhone. Sure enough, the Yeelight is shown as not responding.

When I got home I checked to make sure it's connected to the network:

That's a scan from Apple's Network Utility.

The only way to get it back in HomeKit was to unscrew the bulb and then screw it back in again.

But, the cli still doesn't work. It just hangs forever no matter what command you use:

MrMuscle:~ mnewman$ yee status Bulb parameters: ^C Aborted!

Yes, after waiting fifteen minutes I hit ^C.

Someone suggested the I try a Phillips bulb. But a single bulb costs about 2000 baht and the required hub another 2000. Do I really want to spent US$120 for a lightbulb?

The solution I've come up with is to screw a single ordinary LED bulb into my lamp outlet and use a HomeKit outlet to turn it on and off. And, surprise, surprise, the Koogeek HomeKit outlets seem to be 100% reliable. I've never had one stop responding.

Any better ideas?
I have 3 Phillips Hue lights that work with a bridge. No issues working with HomeKit. I recently bought the new Nano Essentials lightbulb that works extremely well with HomePod mini, as it uses Thread. The best yet!

LindaR

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2013
I have 3 Phillips Hue lights that work with a bridge. No issues working with HomeKit. I recently bought the new Nano Essentials lightbulb that works extremely well with HomePod mini, as it uses Thread. The best yet!

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
If your setup does not work out, look into Sengled. I have total of 16 lightbulbs and i have had zero issues so far.....not a single one for over a year.
The Sengled bulbs available here in Thailand don't seem to work with HomeKit. They don't have the HomeKit logo and only say that they work with the Sengled app. Not sure why that would be. Maybe they don't put HomeKit compatibility in their 220 volt bulbs.

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
As I stated above, I only have one bulb that I want on HomeKit. Using Phillips Hue means I'd have to buy a bulb (2000 baht) and a bridge (2000 baht) for a total of about US$60. And, sorry to say, but HomePod is not yet available here in Thailand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.