Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

n8mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2006
Ohio
Ive been using a logitech m500 mouse for a long time but it failed finally. I bought a new M500s and all the buttons make loud clicking noises. After some research that is how they are designed now. I havent used an Apple mouse in a long time. Can anyone recommend a quiet corded mouse for desktop use?

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
Ive been using a logitech m500 mouse for a long time but it failed finally. I bought a new M500s and all the buttons make loud clicking noises. After some research that is how they are designed now. I havent used an Apple mouse in a long time. Can anyone recommend a quiet corded mouse for desktop use?
I've been using this one for years and just bought another backup just in case:

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
this one I use with my Mac mini in my garage and my iMac in the living room has soft clicks.

JaredJenkinsDesign

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2022
Logitech MX master 3s has quiet clicks
Yup, I've been pleased with my MX Master 3S since switching from an Apple Magic Mouse. It's not corded though so I don't know if that's a dealbreaker for the OP although you can use it with a USB receiver so you don't have to use bluetooth.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Yup, I've been pleased with my MX Master 3S since switching from an Apple Magic Mouse. It's not corded though so I don't know if that's a dealbreaker for the OP although you can use it with a USB receiver so you don't have to use bluetooth.
You can use it corded though. It works perfectly fine with the USB charging cable plugged in and bluetooth turned off if that's what you choose. I never thought about the loud mouse clicks in most mice until I got the MX Master 3S. It's so nice having nearly silent clicks.

vanc

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2007
Agree with all the previous posts. MX Master 3S has the quietest clicking sound over previous generations. I own the original MX master (still usable, but looks beat up), MX Master 2 and 3S. Currently using one in office and one at home. The 3S' clicking sounds mushy which is perfect for a quiet home.

I can also confirm that you can use bluetooth, dongle and wired connections for all these different models. Just make sure the charging cable is also carrying data. USB2 is enough for the mouse to work tethered.

n8mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2006
Ohio
I am looking at the MX master on amazon but it says windows, linux, chrome, but no mention of Mac.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I am looking at the MX master on amazon but it says windows, linux, chrome, but no mention of Mac.
Search for MX Master 3S. The Windows and Mac versions are exactly the same device - the only difference is the Windows version comes with the Logitech Bolt receiver if you choose to use that instead of Bluetooth - and an additional color option. The software is downloadable, so that part is irrelevant.

For what it's worth, I bought the Windows version of my MX Master 3S to use with my Mac Studio and it works perfectly.

The only thing I would recommend is to NOT get the white/silver Mac model - the thing is impossible to keep clean.

Reactions: Weaselboy

magic_mouse_max

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2023
The Logitech MX Anywhere 3s also has quiet clicks and can be used wired, in case you like the brand but find the Master 3/3s too heavy/large for your hand.

n8mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2006
Ohio
I bought the MX Master 3s for mac and it is not connecting via bluetooth. I turned it on and cycled thru numbers 1-3. No go.
2010 Mac Pro OS 10.14

I successfully connected the mouse to my ipad though.

Last edited:

n8mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2006
Ohio
I found out why its not working. It requires OS 10.15+ and I have 10.14. Sad face

1969tgb

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2024
I went on a mouse kick last year. With all the amazing reviews and recommendations, I got the MX Master 3S. But I hated it. I hated the way it felt, it's heavy, I had little to no use for all the buttons and rollers. I gave it a shot for a while, but ended up taking it to work- and it's fine there. Apparently, I have different expectations at home than I do at work... I ended up with a M650L. I loved it. I've used it for the past year- but something happened to it last week... so I got an M720. It's... fine. But I did realize that I REALLY appreciated the nearly silent clicking on the MX Master and the M650L. I'm probably going to get another M650L.

For what it's worth- the M650L is the "Large" size- I have small/medium hands and the mouse is perfect for me. It's actually a *little* smaller than the M510 mouse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.