Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I used to love this game back in the day. One of the stand-out features for me was that it was a shareware game, and if you didn't pay up by the time the trial expired, you got insta killed by another ship that chased you around. It was like Elite: you flew from planet to planet doing missions and trading. I'd love to play that game again if it still existed. I think the company that made it was called Ambrosia software or something?

Reactions: Irishman

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
I loved that game and all of the others in the series. I miss playing through EV Nova, but also trying to avoid 'Hector' in the original Escape Velocity (until i purchased the game).

If you are looking for something very similar, there is also a free open source game called Endless Sky.

Reactions: Janichsan

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I used to love this game back in the day. One of the stand-out features for me was that it was a shareware game, and if you didn't pay up by the time the trial expired, you got insta killed by another ship that chased you around. It was like Elite: you flew from planet to planet doing missions and trading. I'd love to play that game again if it still existed. I think the company that made it was called Ambrosia software or something?
I remember the name, but can’t remember if I liked it… :(

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
ive always been amazed that someone didnt get the rights to all the ambrosia games and put them out on iphone or android. simple games done really well. My favourite was Barrack, but Maelstrom was good, apeiron wasnt bad.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Ambrosia was a big part of the Mac gaming landscape back then. I played Escape Velocity a bunch on my parents' IIcx. One of the coolest parts about it was the plugin system, and anyone with some time (and ResEdit) could create additional missions, ships, etc. More ambitious fans created entirely new storylines.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Ambrosia was a big part of the Mac gaming landscape back then. I played Escape Velocity a bunch on my parents' IIcx. One of the coolest parts about it was the plugin system, and anyone with some time (and ResEdit) could create additional missions, ships, etc. More ambitious fans created entirely new storylines.
Yes! I remember using ResEdit. Those were the days.

Reactions: dmr727

nhaubner

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2023
That game was epic, one of the first games I really got hooked on back in the days. There is actually a direct clone of the original Escape Velocity being made as a Browser Game as far as I know, it's not Cosmic Frontier. I spoke to one of the Days a while back and he said that they want to clone the game (with updated resolution on the graphics) to start with and then expand the game endlessly. Sounds fund and great.

If I find it I will let you guys know, maybe it will feed some of the longing to play the game again.

rampancy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Ah, EV. I must have sunk hundreds of thousands of hours into those games across the years.

The plug-in community was what really made the game come to life: Tim E. Isle's Empire series sprawled into a trilogy of total conversion plug-ins and two spin-offs, each of which had hundreds of completely new missions, systems, ships and weapons that were essentially standalone games. Martin Turner's The Frozen Heart was practically an interactive novel in the form of a plug-in for EV Override, that features one of the most novel forms of ship combat I've ever experienced. And when the teased expansion for EV Nova, New Breed failed to materialize, ARPIA basically took its place; the Arpian Sylvatha is still one of the most bad-ass ships I've ever flown in an EV scenario.

It's such a shame that Ambrosia Software just...evaporated, with nothing so much as a whisper of what happened to it. I really wish one day that someone will port their games over to more modern OSs and release their games on a place like GOG.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.