Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DookSucks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2019
NC
If you do, I would like to chat with you. I run a small office (no more than two users at a time), and per requirement out of my control, I need to have all of my files backed up locally even if I already have everything backed up via cloud even if I have two cloud storages synced together. I don't want to buy a new macbook with extra storage (I only have 1tb on this one), but I likely have a low cost mac (friend no longer needs it and it's silicon) with plenty of storage that I would like to use as a file server on my network. I want this to auto-sync with OneDrive or MyDrive. Does anyone have a similar set-up?

Thank you for any advice or help.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Yes, both platforms with different clients. But no devices store everything locally (which would be a requirement for local backup.

BryanElliott

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2014
Los Santos
I'm a subscriber to Office 365 both consumer and business. OneDrive is set up such that my Desktop and Documents folder are ALWAYS backed up. The best part of this is that my Mac Studio and my Windows Laptop have the EXACT same desktop and the EXACT same documents folder.

I can also view the files online and in Files.

DookSucks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2019
NC
but will there be any issue if i'm running that on the file server accessible by other users on network?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
but will there be any issue if i'm running that on the file server accessible by other users on network?
There will be issues. The folder location for OneDrive isn't easily accessible for sharing, and you can't properly manage which files are online or local.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.