Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pischu12

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2020
Hello :) Only because I am spoiled wit this opprotunity ( guilty as charged ) and because hopefully maybe able to ... I am upgrading the 6 core to a 10 core 2013 MacPro 6.1 . Migrating to : Intel Xeon E5-2690v2

i) any recommendations would always always be welcome especially pitfalls ( please )
ii) Does anyone sell the stencil ( grid) below when it comes time for thermal paste ?
iii) Thank you all in advanced.
iv) Open to understanding if anyone is against this migration as well.

:)

Screen Shot 2024-04-26 at 14.29.03.png

Screen Shot 2024-04-26 at 14.28.46.png

Last edited:

Pawnhawk

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2019
Hello :) Only because I am spoiled wit this opprotunity ( guilty as charged ) and because hopefully maybe able to ... I am upgrading the 6 core to a 10 core 2013 MacPro 6.1 . Migrating to : Intel Xeon E5-2690v2

i) any recommendations would always always be welcome especially pitfalls ( please )
ii) Does anyone sell the stencil ( grid) below when it comes time for thermal paste ?
iii) Thank you all in advanced.
iv) Open to understanding if anyone is against this migration as well.

:)

View attachment 2372173

View attachment 2372172

Reactions: pischu12

Pawnhawk

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2019
Hi, I did this afew days ago and all went well for me, I went from the E5 1620 v2 to E5 2697 v2.
If you look at videos this will give any pitfalls you may get, as long as you take your time and be very careful it should all work out fine. The only problem I had and got help here was removal of CPU, on mine there were black stickers on the inside four CPU screws, but once removed it was easy to release the CPU.
If you have any problems just give a shout and good luck.
Oh my thermal paste M4 came with a spatula which did a good job.

Reactions: pischu12

pischu12

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2020
Just a very small FYI.... I looked around and couldn't find the Apple stencil to be extremely neurotic for application of thermal paste; so I made one :) It's not perfect (of-course) but I think it's kinda close .

tempImagePUzwEz.png
tempImageyox61i.png

tempImageg6ysgx.png

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
This last photo above, from the late-2013 Mac Pro Technicians Guide, have a blob of paste that probably can be applied to 3 Mac Pros.

The way Apple suggest applying thermal paste to the late-2013 Mac Pro always seemed to me over-engineered and prone to apply to much paste that will accumulate on the laterals of the heat spreader lid and even over the CPU socket when the paste is spread by the compression pressure of the heatsink.

I suppose that applying thermal paste in the production line is probably something that takes to much time and Apple made a choice to error on the side of too much paste, most Macs that I've opened over the years have excessive paste applied, especially the MacPro6,1.

pischu12

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2020
This last photo above, from the late-2013 Mac Pro Technicians Guide, have a blob of paste that probably can be applied to 3 Mac Pros.

The way Apple suggest applying thermal paste to the late-2013 Mac Pro always seemed to me over-engineered and prone to apply to much paste that will accumulate on the laterals of the heat spreader lid and even over the CPU socket when the paste is spread by the compression pressure of the heatsink.

I suppose that applying thermal paste in the production line is probably something that takes to much time and Apple made a choice to error on the side of too much paste, most Macs that I've opened over the years have excessive paste applied, especially the MacPro6,1.
Totally agree 100% ; to make an assembly of a high volume item "reproducible" ie like the same drink at every different Starbucks tastes the same ... they had to have a system in place to ensure this. I was / am trying to do it at least to their standard when the time comes to put it all back together.
I wish they had an interview of the extremely smart people who engineered this MacPro and they would write an article about it at least. The thought ( and detail ) that goes into any new product must be absolutely amazing.

• Love
Reactions: heretiq and tsialex

mode11

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2015
London
Totally agree 100% ; to make an assembly of a high volume item "reproducible" ie like the same drink at every different Starbucks tastes the same ... they had to have a system in place to ensure this. I was / am trying to do it at least to their standard when the time comes to put it all back together.
I wish they had an interview of the extremely smart people who engineered this MacPro and they would write an article about it at least. The thought ( and detail ) that goes into any new product must be absolutely amazing.

You don't need a special tool for applying thermal paste; it's just like any other Xeon chip. Apply a reasonable size blob, reattach the heatsink, and get on with your life.

However you apply paste, the heatsink pressure will spread the paste out to a very thin layer. Various tests have shown that regardless of paste pattern, the thermals are essentially identical. The only problem will be if you use too little paste (i.e. a tiny blob). If you use too much, it will make a mess but won't damage anything (assuming you're using a non-conductive paste).

pischu12

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2020
Migration complete :) Yay! Deep sigh... did not wish to hurt my little MacPro ;
Moved from 6 --> 10 core finally - after reading about it , thinking about, dreaming about the steps....
I have worked with a 12 core and I think I am safe to say that for everyday things ..... I feel like the 10 is a little more attentive and quicker to user requests and simple straight forward computing ..... Thank you all for your insight and help .... and yes I probably could improve my "thermal" paste application :) by allot .

• Love
Reactions: mode11 and heretiq
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.