Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D00gle

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
I hate the Magic Mouse. Replaced it with the Logitech M555b on my Air. Best mouse I ever had: bluetooth, left, write scrolling, scroll wheel with or without stops (just throw it and it scrolls through like 20 pages in Pages). I use the Magic Trackpad for gestures and the mouse for precision.

Love this set-up.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
Thanks, everyone! I'm still a little bit undecided, but it's between the magic mouse with the MoBee wireless charger (thanks for that tip, didn't know it existed - looks great!) and the Logitech M570 trackball mouse. I had a previous version of the trackball mouse years ago and I remember it was very comfortable. I'm going to see if I can find a way of testing out the magic mouse in real life before deciding.

Bowcaps

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2012
Cornwall, UK
I use a Magic Mouse and Wireless Keyboard with a Rain mStand at my office, but interestingly I use a trackpad with my i7 2012 27" iMac, so as I see it 'horses for courses'

HTH :)

Brandon0448

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
I actually prefer using the MBA track pad, I have always loved track pads on laptops but the ones on my old Windows machines are all so small. The track pad on my MBA is huge and I love it. But there are some tasks that just require a mouse and when it comes to those I use my Razor Orochi, love its compact size and carrying case. Always in my backpack in case I need it.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Thanks, everyone! I've started checking out the different LogiTech ones now as well.

I have Better Touch Tool, it's a brilliant app.

For those of you who use the Magic Mouse frequently: how is the battery life? I've read in various reviews that people have to change batteries once a week, which sounds annoying. Is that your experience?
About once a month using recyko rechargeable batteries for me. :)

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
I change batteries once a month, it's not that ergonomic but I like the gestures, get a Logitech mx performance

Yes, I have that mouse for my Windows / Work laptop and highly recommend it as well...can be used for hours with not problems...

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
I hate the Magic Mouse, I could not use Photoshop well with it. It's too flat. And I need two buttons, not just one.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
I hate the Magic Mouse, I could not use Photoshop well with it. It's too flat. And I need two buttons, not just one.

At the risk of stating the obvious it does have two buttons in that it can be configured such that when you click on the right side this acts as the second button...I too need two buttons and this is exactly how I use the magic mouse.

Amad3U5

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012
Sydney
I do. I love that the gestures on the Magic Mouse and the trackpad are completely interchangeable, and I can do just as many gestures on either. Also, scrolling on Safari is completely flawless and smooth, and a one-finger horizontal swipe sends you back and forward through web-pages.

My only grudge is while playing games. Many games such as Minecraft and Half-Life 2 use the mouse wheel to change items. But because the Magic Mouse wheel is non-physical, you have zero control over this, thus making games like these unplayable. So I just use a cheap wired Logitech mouse when playing games.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
Thanks, everyone. So, I checked it out in the store and I've decided on the magic mouse - mainly because I want to use the mouse with my left hand (which the logitech one doesn't allow for) and I'd like to keep the USB ports free. I'm going to combine it with that charger that someone recommended unthread.

The real problem may be the position of the chair / desk / external monitor if you use one. Compare the way how you sit with others, if there is any difference.

That's a good reminder to do something I should have done a while ago - get the uni physio to come check all of that out. I don't think it's too bad (this physio comes around every year or every other year so we get checked out relatively regularly), but I've changed chairs since last time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.