Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

House3344

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2022
As I do. Just wondering if others do? Or have music on an IPhone/Apple watch without an Apple Music subscription.

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
The iPod predates iTunes music store by 18 months, so it has been used like this from day 1. I personally store a part of my >200k song collection I meticulously ripped from vinyl and CD's on my two iPods for traveling outside reasonable cellular coverage. Some of them are also on my iPhone. I bought no more than a 100 songs from iTunes/Apple Music.

Reactions: ackmondual

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
Since my 3rd gen iPod Nano died about five years ago I’ve been using my old iPhone 4 as a glorified iPod. And, no, I don’t have or intend to have an Apple Music subscription. No interest in things like Spotify either.

I have my music the very old school way. I copied my entire music library from old CDs and such, scrounged up songs from using Limewire ages ago and still pick up the odd song off the iTunes store. The last I don’t do often because I’ve become something of a curmudgeon who finds the vast majority of music from the past 15-20 years to be rancid dog manure.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
As I do. Just wondering if others do? Or have music on an IPhone/Apple watch without an Apple Music subscription.
I have over 2 dozen portable media players and I don't use any subscription services. I prefer to own the music that is important to me. Ripping CDs, cassettes, records, and downloading music from blogs that digitized LPs. Most of the music that I listen to is not available on services like Apple Music.

philden

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
I also use my computer (2010 MacPro) and iPod Classics to listen to music with no streaming services. I buy CDs and LPs, and occasionally downloads from places like Bandcamp. And a traditional HiFi system at home, to which I recently added a vintage Nakamichi cassette deck.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Yeah, I listen to FM/internet radio and read the online press to hear new music and don't otherwise touch any of the streaming services and buy digital/physical media to put on the iPod.

I don't do Netflix/YouTube/Instagram/TikTok/and all the other things people do on their phones now though, and I know I'm really in the minority of that. It's fine.

Reactions: dazzlingirl

Septercius

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2017
UK
Yes. I have a mixture of tracks I've ripped from CD and tracks I've bought from the iTunes Store. I don't need feel to have an Apple Music subscription - though I do subscribe to a streaming radio service (DI.FM). That plus my music collection serves me well.

Reactions: Glacier1

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
Only got mine for listening to my offline collection as a replacement for a busted Nano. I'm not even using Apple Music (found it too uncomfortable, lacking a dark mode in the iOS version it shipped with as well as a function to blend from one track to the next - the Ipod nano I had before did all that better).

Instead I'm using Vox player on the Touch and manage the collection from iTunes on the desktop. Fingers crossed my Touch lasts a while still, not too keen on having to move to another platform and probably having to re-do all the playlists, favourites and track-specific settings.

I don't even have an Apple account linked to any sort of payment service. Never bought anything from there.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
The iPod predates iTunes music store by 18 months, so it has been used like this from day 1. I personally store a part of my >200k song collection I meticulously ripped from vinyl and CD's on my two iPods for traveling outside reasonable cellular coverage. Some of them are also on my iPhone. I bought no more than a 100 songs from iTunes/Apple Music.
This ^^

If I were to set up my iPod Classic again, it's strictly songs from my PC and/or CDs. It doesn't even run iOS has no internet access, so methinks wouldn't be able to access Apple Music anyways. AFAIK, iTunes was around before they sold songs through it (99 cents apiece!), but the versions of iTunes didn't seem to let you buy music (I think?). I just used it to transfer songs from my PC to my device.

Apleeseed84

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2020
This ^^

If I were to set up my iPod Classic again, it's strictly songs from my PC and/or CDs. It doesn't even run iOS has no internet access, so methinks wouldn't be able to access Apple Music anyways. AFAIK, iTunes was around before they sold songs through it (99 cents apiece!), but the versions of iTunes didn't seem to let you buy music (I think?). I just used it to transfer songs from my PC to my device.
exactly, i have backups of my backups and i thought it was cool at the time to download or purchase them through itunes store a long time ago, and once apple music came out, i went all in on just expanding my digital library but no my physical. Without Apple Music I'll miss out on some new content but quite frankly I won't miss out on that much because I can buy them legally through bandcamp.

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
Now that Apple has discontinued the iPod Touch I’m thinking of getting one (before they’re all gone) to replace my old iPhone 4 which I use as a glorified iPod.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Now that Apple has discontinued the iPod Touch I’m thinking of getting one (before they’re all gone) to replace my old iPhone 4 which I use as a glorified iPod.
Personally, I would try to find a cheaper "old stock" iPhone to instead of the iPod for the following reasons:

1. More easily replaceable battery
2. Better battery capacity
3. TouchID or FaceID
4. More options for screen size and storage
5. Much better processor (iPod has the A10, which is what is in the iPhone 7)
6. Better water resistance

The only downsides are that it'll cost more to buy an iPhone and that the iPod has a regular headphone jack.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.