Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Evader115

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2021
Can anyone who has the Sr 80e's from Grado and can compare to APP and APM. Looking to buy one of these and I am looking for a good comparison.

Last edited:

osx'r

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2007
I tried Grados many years ago and frankly I didn't understand the fuss. As I recall, they were very harsh to my ears. I ended up landing on the AKG K240 MK II better (and still use them 10 years later), and while a little different, find the APM equally enjoyable.

One thing to keep in mind. Sources, as well as Headphones/Speakers have different sound signatures. So your experience will be influenced by not just one or the other, but the pairing as well.

(I hope you find something helpful in my response).

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Yeah…the Grados seem like a decent enough headphone for musicians when recording in a studio but aren't going to be listening critically. Also, they're not even in the same category as the AirPods Max.

Earbuds sound different depending on how they're fitting in the ear. I have small earholes, I suppose, and ALL earbuds I've tried, with the smallest buds, work their way out of my ears. I hate 'em!

I haven't heard the AirPods Max. They're probably nice and have a lot of features.

I use a $200 set of BeyerDynamic wired headphones. They're a lot better to me than the old Sony's I have. I got the Beyers because they're comfortable with glasses (after stretching out the vise-like structure)…but I don't wear glasses anymore so I might have gotten something different if I was looking now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.