Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loganmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
Utah, USA
Does anyone here use their iPad to make money? Maybe you work from your iPad, or you run your business from your iPad, or you sell your music or art that you've made with your iPad?

I've got a 2021 iPad Pro 12.9 1TB cellular on order (coming next week!). I'm excited because it's got the M1 processor. As a developer of software and mobile apps, I'm hoping they announce that they're going to add some more robust coding capabilities to the iPad at WWDC this year!

I also run a small Shopify store and I'm thinking I could use it to manage that (not the theme coding parts of it, but just product management and fulfillment).

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
In my day job, at least when we were in the office, I would use the iPad to take notes at meetings.
In my side job I use the iPad to prototype an Augmented Reality app I am making
I use the iPad to write business documents

I would love to develop directly on the iPad, but even if WWDC announces XCode coming to iPad, I need the Unity game engine, and even the MacOS version of Unity's editor isn't M1 native yet (though you can create M1-native apps with it), so I have serious doubts about it coming to iPad soon.

Reactions: Kierkegaarden

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Good questions. I use my iPad to view/test app prototypes, sketch out interface ideas, etc. — so not directly making me money, but it’s a good tool that helps me build my business.

Even if WWDC doesn’t reveal anything major for the iPad software, I know it will continue to evolve and get better and better, so I look at it as a long term investment.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Does anyone here use their iPad to make money? Maybe you work from your iPad, or you run your business from your iPad, or you sell your music or art that you've made with your iPad?

I've got a 2021 iPad Pro 12.9 1TB cellular on order (coming next week!). I'm excited because it's got the M1 processor. As a developer of software and mobile apps, I'm hoping they announce that they're going to add some more robust coding capabilities to the iPad at WWDC this year!

I also run a small Shopify store and I'm thinking I could use it to manage that (not the theme coding parts of it, but just product management and fulfillment).
During a 2017 Hurricane my iPad Pro with Hotspot tethering allowed me to file a FEMA Claim before anyone else could because all internet was down In Miami. Except me $1500 check And even the FEMA people were like asking how I go through so fast.

During the Pandemic my 11” iPad Pro allowed me to get a SBA EIDL Grant $1,000 and and then an SBA Loan all forgiven. 80% to employees and 20% towards a business Tech Upgrade Because we needed a Gaming PC RTX 3090 to do Work from home video calls.

All free money.

I could have used a PC but the iPad Pro makes it seem less to Scan documents and upload them. Taxes Done. Owe BoA $0 Thanks Unless Sam

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
Take notes at meetings, I use it instead of a laptop when I travel most of the time these days (It's great with a keyboard on an airplane), use it for notes when speaking, etc.

chumps

Cancelled
Sep 2, 2020
I use it for illustration work from time to time. I mostly use my Mac but the portability/simplicity can be nice.

Reactions: sfrangu

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
Not directly but I use it at work as a companion device. I can perform our monthly consolidation on it as that system works via a web link. It’s not as efficient as on a laptop but if I have some extra work I can do it in the evening on the couch (both with the keyboard or the pencil)

otherwise it’s mostly for:

- MS Teams calls
- planning tool for follow up of projects, tasks
- notes during meetings
- MS Office, SharePoint, oneDrive, power BI

Reactions: rui no onna

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
During a 2017 Hurricane my iPad Pro with Hotspot tethering allowed me to file a FEMA Claim before anyone else could because all internet was down In Miami. Except me $1500 check And even the FEMA people were like asking how I go through so fast.

During the Pandemic my 11” iPad Pro allowed me to get a SBA EIDL Grant $1,000 and and then an SBA Loan all forgiven. 80% to employees and 20% towards a business Tech Upgrade Because we needed a Gaming PC RTX 3090 to do Work from home video calls.

All free money.

I could have used a PC but the iPad Pro makes it seem less to Scan documents and upload them. Taxes Done. Owe BoA $0 Thanks Unless Sam
Not free money at all. Taxpayers (including you) are on the hook for that “free” money.

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
I would of if my company allowed personal devices to connect to our VPN and remote desktops, but they don’t. And I am not interested in getting one from work that they have control over via MDM that I use for personal things.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
Not directly. I use it as a companion to my laptop (work or personal). So technically when I use it as a companion for my work laptop I use it for something work related. However no strict income related to that. It is mostly that I use my iPad with the pencil to either read books that help me develop myself professionally or to take notes during work related trainings or to brainstorm for some work PPT or documents that I am doing.

Reactions: jchap and sfrangu

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
I use it at work everyday for :

concept design sketching [adobe fresco]
documentation markups
concept image search / collate [pinterest, miro and photos]
All client meetings [evernote for all notes across projects]

it sits on my desk to the left of my keyboard and also is used for all media management.

At home I use it as a small laptop for typing this for example and some you tube and reading books and magazines.

Reactions: Kierkegaarden
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.