Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
Does AppData of Unused "Offloaded" Apps saved on device survive an iOS Update?

Edit Details:

Would it be retained through an iOS Update? via these 3 ways:
OTA Update, Backup/ Restore via iTunes, or Fut Restore?

* Wondering how iOS manages this App Data etc through iOS upates?

* For e.g. Some Apps are way too big, and their use is infrequent/ once in a while,

* But I'd prefer not to lose the; Logins/ Sign ins, Documents/ Data, App Data/ Settings created within that App during its use.

* That's when I'd prefer to offload the App & down it when needed - work as before - use for few days/ a week - Off load again.

Last edited:

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
PS: Has this changed in any fashion from iOS 12 onwards to 13 to 14 to 15?

PPS: I am still on 12. 4

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
I have a unique situation on my iPad on iOS 12, I was using app that was at version 14; because it had some features that were removed later on in new versions; and it was offloaded automatically to free up some space, this app was not the current version and I was concerned that I would have to manually reload it using configurator 2 but when I tapped on the app icon button it actually reinstalled version 14 again from the App Store even though the latest version is version 20. Nice.

Learn something new every once in a while, the App Store respects what version you have when it offloads an app and it does not automatically update it when reloading it.
now that the app is reactivated, the App Store shows an update for it but I haven’t been applying it.

BTW, this app had over 1 GB of data on my iPad when it was offloaded, only the app was offloaded not the sign in credentials or cookies or the one gigabyte of data. As soon as it was reinstalled it was already signed in and working fine.

Reactions: crashnburn

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
I have a unique situation on my iPad on iOS 12, I was using app that was at version 14; because it had some features that were removed later on in new versions; and it was offloaded automatically to free up some space, this app was not the current version and I was concerned that I would have to manually reload it using configurator 2 but when I tapped on the app icon button it actually reinstalled version 14 again from the App Store even though the latest version is version 20. Nice.

Learn something new every once in a while, the App Store respects what version you have when it offloads an app and it does not automatically update it when reloading it.
now that the app is reactivated, the App Store shows an update for it but I haven’t been applying it.

BTW, this app had over 1 GB of data on my iPad when it was offloaded, only the app was offloaded not the sign in credentials or cookies or the one gigabyte of data. As soon as it was reinstalled it was already signed in and working fine.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing your experience in detail.

Different but definitely valuable insight.

Reactions: JosephAW
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.