Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sk1985

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
I was wonder if apple care covers defects such as dead or stuck pixels? I know sooner or latter I'll find one of those suckers on my screen just today I had a white stuck pixel that popped up and then vanished (my iBook is only a day or so old). If I put some pressure on the screen it pops up then vanishes. I'm mostly worried about long term protection. I really wanted to know before I purchase it.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
sk1985 said:
I was wonder if apple care covers defects such as dead or stuck pixels? I know sooner or latter I'll find one of those suckers on my screen just today I had a white stuck pixel that popped up and then vanished (my iBook is only a day or so old). If I put some pressure on the screen it pops up then vanishes. I'm mostly worried about long term protection.
It should, if you don't smash it.

sk1985

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
Eidorian said:
It should, if you don't smash it.
Excellent. I couldn't find that info anywhere on apple's site. At only 183 dollars (with student discount) for 2 extra years of coverage I'd be a fool to pass up that kind of offer.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
My sisters iBook G4 has just had its TFT replaced under Apple care 2 1/2 years after purchase so that is no problem. You do need to realise though Apple like every manufacturer require a certain amount of dead or stuck pixels on the screen before they will replace it. My sisters screen died completely so it had 1024x768 dead pixels, mmm pixels!

sk1985

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
risc said:
My sisters iBook G4 has just had its TFT replaced under Apple care 2 1/2 years after purchase so that is no problem. You do need to realise though Apple like every manufacturer require a certain amount of dead or stuck pixels on the screen before they will replace it. My sisters screen died completely so it had 1024x768 dead pixels, mmm pixels!
It was more or less a cluster (very small about the size of a period or two) of little pixels that got stuck then left when I applied a little pressure on them. I'm pretty sure it would have been noticeable enough for a replacement.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
sk1985 said:
It was more or less a cluster (very small about the size of a period or two) of little pixels that got stuck then left when I applied a little pressure on them. I'm pretty sure it would have been noticeable enough for a replacement.

If it was more than 2 or 3 yeah they would replace it for you.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
I've had two screens replaced by apple on my old Ti. Both had the discolouration problem where they went dark above the sleep light. They replced them no questions asked two years apart. So they are forthcoming if it's their fault - although others seem to have significant problems if it isn't easily proven the problem isn't down to abuse.

oclor

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2006
Boston
My screen, and my roommate's screwed up pretty badly on our laptops. We both sent them in and they got back to us in no time. So yes, it is covered. But i would advise that you be careful with your iBook. I have one and the screen cracked. I'm using it right now even though there are black spotches everywhere. I took it to an apple store and then told me $800 to fix. A new one costs $1000. It was totally my fault though (I dropped it a couple of times)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.