Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M.Shaf213

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
Apple announced the ECG feature on Apple Watch Series 4 will be released later this year, but do we know exactly when? Any ideas of when it could be available?

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
No one knows for sure. Having stuck their neck out with the "this year" promise, I'm sure Apple is doing everything in its power to make that happen. Unfortunately, we have a federal agency involved. And that can lead to delays.

I think it'll happen this year. However, unless its hidden in the code for WatchOS 5.1.2 (possible but I think someone would have sniffed it out by now), it'll either have to be done via another release (5.1.3? 5.2?) with no betas (seems unlikely) or Apple flips a switch somewhere and it becomes active.

Starship67

Suspended
Oct 28, 2017
LA
The functionality is already there embedded in the Digital Crown. I’m sure the code is already in place. All we need is the app.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
No one knows for sure. Having stuck their neck out with the "this year" promise, I'm sure Apple is doing everything in its power to make that happen. Unfortunately, we have a federal agency involved. And that can lead to delays.

I think it'll happen this year. However, unless its hidden in the code for WatchOS 5.1.2 (possible but I think someone would have sniffed it out by now), it'll either have to be done via another release (5.1.3? 5.2?) with no betas (seems unlikely) or Apple flips a switch somewhere and it becomes active.

Apple claimed they already had FDA sign-off during the September event. I haven't looked that up, but presumably you can do so.

I don't know whether it needs to be in or referred to in an iOS update. Possibly it will arrive as a free-standing app.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Apple claimed they already had FDA sign-off during the September event. I haven't looked that up, but presumably you can do so.

I don't know whether it needs to be in or referred to in an iOS update. Possibly it will arrive as a free-standing app.
Having "sign-off" and having the paperwork in place that accompanies that sign off can be 2 very different things.

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
I think the issue isn’t the US. I have a feeling, it’s the other countries approval.

bluegt

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2015
A lot of people are anxiously waiting, I suggest all of you write Apple some feedback and let them know how you feel.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Alternatively, if you have influence on a social network, post there. If Apple doesn't know that we are all waiting, there isn't very much pressure on them to get this released.

Reactions: Olivia23

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Did you read the letter? It clearly lays out prerequisite testing and controls which must be in place before the ECG can be put on the market. In the future tense.

I did. Did you?

As a result of this order, you may immediately market your device as described in the De Novo request, subject to the general control provisions of the FD&C Act and the special controls identified in this order.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I did. Did you?

As a result of this order, you may immediately market your device as described in the De Novo request, subject to the general control provisions of the FD&C Act and the special controls identified in this order.

Yes. Marketing does not equal selling. And note the last clause re special controls, which refers to the 5 numbered items. None of those were listed as already having been done. So the logical inference here is that Apple was allowed to talk about the app at the iPhone event (marketing) but cannot deploy it until it met those conditions.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Yes. Marketing does not equal selling. And note the last clause re special controls, which refers to the 5 numbered items. None of those were listed as already having been done. So the logical inference here is that Apple was allowed to talk about the app at the iPhone event (marketing) but cannot deploy it until it met those conditions.
Technically, "marketing" means taking your product to market (to sell), so it could depend on legal definitions.

Product promotion is just a small part of marketing. In general terms, product marketing also includes pricing and selling in addition to promoting a product. Again, it really goes back to the legal definition of "marketing" in this case.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

This is sort of interesting and probably needs an IP lawyer to really understand. The FDA letter says that a 510(k) notice is required, and here's the bad news on that for us (bold text). If that's applicable, Apple would have to file that notice 90 days before it actually starts delivering the ECG app. Since no one in the media has publicized such a filing (assuming it's a publicly available filing), that would mean the actual delivery date is some time in mid/late-February at the earliest.

A 510(k) is required when:
  1. Unless exempt, introducing a device into commercial distribution (marketing) for the first time. After May 28, 1976 (effective date of the Medical Device Amendments to the Act), anyone who wants to sell a device in the U.S. is required to make a 510(k) submission at least 90 days prior to offering the device for sale, even though it may have been under development or clinical investigation before that date. If your device was not marketed by your firm before May 28, 1976, a 510(k) is required.

Last edited:
Reactions: tromboneaholic
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.