Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmnc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
A lot of times developers have answered my bug reports, so yes, they read them.

Reactions: Stq

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Seems like when I send them bug reports, it issue is not fixed in later releases.
Getting information about an issue, looking into it, prioritizing it, actually figuring out what to do with it, implementing the necessary changes, testing the changes, finding a release to get those changes out, and actually getting the changes out to the public are all related but in essence separate things.

Reactions: Hans300

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Not trying to up the ante but sometimes what some users consider bugs are design issues and the device maybe working as designed even though some users may consider that action a bug.

Reactions: cynics and jhall8

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
^ This

As a developer I can tell you that 90% of "bug" reports are not really bugs, but rather disagreement over how the app works, trying to use functionality that doesn't exist, lack of knowledge on using core iOS functionality (like pinch to zoom), and just plain user error.

For example, the bug regarding "home button lag" will never be "fixed" because it is not a bug, but required for the home button to work with double and triple clicking gestures.

Reactions: simonsi and jhall8

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
What would be the point of having a public beta if they didn't evaluate the feedback??

You really shouldn't expect responses...the only time they would reply would be if they need additional information. If you've documented the bug well and they're able to reproduce, they wouldn't require additional information. Also a good chance the issue may have already been reported.

Last edited:

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Developer's and Apple Seed tester's reports are screened individually. However the public beta (largely because of the sheer numbers) are put into aggregate and use algorithms to screen for true bugs and problems. Also Developer's and Apple Seed tester's have their own forums that are moderated by Apple engineers.

Last edited:

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I’ve had several responses from developers while in the public beta program. More often than not it’s along the lines of “This bug has been addressed in the newly released build. Is it’s still an issue?”.

As has been mentioned, people primarily reporting “lag and stutter” or other nit-picky things are probably not going to get the time of day for which they yearn.

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
I got multiple responses from Apple to my feedback, so I think they listen. However, I would be glad if they could add a proper “suggestion” section in the Feedback app. The current suggestion tab is really confusing because they treat suggestions as bugs.

FireFish

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
Just being honest: I'm pretty much entirely convinced that absolutely nobody within any engineering ranks at Apple is actually engaging with any bug / feedback submissions from the feedback app.

I find myself feverishly documenting major bugs found in beta and development iOS builds, thinking I'm doing the greater iOS community some good, but in reality, I look back at reports I've submitted YEARS ago and they're all still OPEN (besides the ones I myself have closed on their behalf). It makes you wonder if Apple is getting the best of us and how appreciative they really are with my valuable time. I'm basically QA'ing their work for free.

Let's not forget their founder's underlying philosophy: The world doesn't know what they need until I show it to them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.