Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I have used different calendar apps which offer better features than the default app. However, the only reason to keep Apple's calendar app on the home screen is to check today's date since none of the others do that. Is it because of Apple's restriction?

Reactions: sd70mac

JWalker1995

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2011
Normal developers do not have the option to make the App Logo change on an interval basis, this is only something apple has the software to do

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I have used different calendar apps which offer better features than the default app. However, the only reason to keep Apple's calendar app on the home screen is to check today's date since none of the others do that. Is it because of Apple's restriction?

Yes.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Updating icon would be quite useful if Apple makes it available. But then I think..that's Microsoft's live tiles!

I remember seeing one weather app on the app store which offered displaying current temperature on the icon as an in-app-purchase.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The best you can do with some of those apps is to have them display the date in the form of a badge "notification" at the corner of the icon.

sd70mac

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2015
They need an API for this. I guess I have more feedback to write.

Update: I wrote and submitted some feedback asking for an API for variable text on the icon. I should have added something to my feedback about changing the color to help with noticeability.

Update 2: I wrote a second feedback asking for changing the icon colors.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.