Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bscheffel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
I have a 2018 iPad Pro with a cracked screen. If I make an appt at a Genius Bar will apple replace my iPad on the spot with a replacement unit or does it send my unit somewhere to have the screen replaced? I have AppleCare+. I ask this because I know for iPhones Apple will actually replace the screen in a couple hours at the store. I don't think this applies to iPads but not sure if I'll get a replacement right away or have to go without my iPad until my unit is repaired.

el beisbol

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
I'm guessing they will swap it out. I had a dent that locked the power button. I went in to an appointment and had AppleCare+. They handed me a new unit (same iPad model) for the $50 fee.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I have a 2018 iPad Pro with a cracked screen. If I make an appt at a Genius Bar will apple replace my iPad on the spot with a replacement unit or does it send my unit somewhere to have the screen replaced? I have AppleCare+. I ask this because I know for iPhones Apple will actually replace the screen in a couple hours at the store. I don't think this applies to iPads but not sure if I'll get a replacement right away or have to go without my iPad until my unit is repaired.
They'll definitely swap it out.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
Apple does not repair iPads. You will receive a brand new replacement unit after you pay the $49 fee. Just make sure to backup your cracked iPad before you head into the store. And just remember that you will only have one more incident left until your plan ends, so be careful. After 2 years you can purchase another plan which you can pay monthly that will give you 2 more incidents.

Reactions: RevTEG

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
Apple doesnt repair iPad Pro screens. You will receive a completely different unit. Your AC+ will carry over.

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
I accidentally dropped my iPad Pro 2018 today. It’s dented in one corner with spiderweb cracks going up near the center. I have AppleCare + and will be visiting Apple store on September 10th. If they normally do a swap but don’t have inventory for same+same is there the slightest chance they’ll update me to the 2020 pro. Probably unlikely but I’ll know soon

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
I accidentally dropped my iPad Pro 2018 today. It’s dented in one corner with spiderweb cracks going up near the center. I have AppleCare + and will be visiting Apple store on September 10th. If they normally do a swap but don’t have inventory for same+same is there the slightest chance they’ll update me to the 2020 pro. Probably unlikely but I’ll know soon

They have plenty of 2018 models available, I just got a replacement last week. Build date was July 2020. The only time I recall swaps for "better" hardware was for Apple Watch models that were over a generation older.

Superrenz

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2018
Wiesbaden, Germany
Happened to me once. Years ago the swapped an iPad 1 for a 2. But I wouldn't bet on it.

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
Sure enough they had ample stock for 2018 pros. I’m not complaining. the Two upgrades I wanted from the 2020 pad was WiFi 6 and lidar(admittedly so far not really too many practical uses). They always pretend while looking at the cracked screen as if they’re going to possibly repair it. it’s just acting. They swapped it with an express replacement. I got an august 2020 build after looking up the serial number on sndeep.info. It’s an ”infant” ?. Lol. I paid my 49$ deductible and was on my way. One last thing. for some reason, maybe it’s in my mind, this late build seems to be a little heavier and sturdier. Anyone else with A late build notice that? It’s as if they fortified it a little more because they bent too easy.

Last edited:

Internaut

macrumors 65816
In the U.K. they deal with two instances of accidental damage with an excess Fee. Mine‘s doubly insureD.... Took out the Currys PC World care plan not realising they’ve downgraded it (no butter fingers insurance) and you get offered AppleCare anyway as soon as you start a new device for the first time :-(.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.