Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
No. I asked. Answer is still no even if you pay for it.
They used to during the iOS 10 battery replacement fiasco but no more.
Battery health has to be below 80% before they’ll replace it.

Reactions: Jackbequickly

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
They changed my 13mini battery with 83%. I payed

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I recently had mine replaced in my 13 Pro at about 85%. I'm in the US but there was no hassle about paying Apple to replace it.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Got to remember that the battery health number is a manipulated guess. When it shows you’ve got 80% health, it says that everything is normal and at peak efficiency. But when it drops to 79%, all of a sudden it will say that the battery is severely degraded and should be replaced. Ha

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Of course if you pay.
Apple did for me. I think you are confusing this for their iPad battery replacement policy (where they only do an iPad swap for you if its battery falls below 80% health). But for the iPhone, battery replacement is no-questions-asked, so long as you are willing to pay for the cost of the replacement.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Apple did for me. I think you are confusing this for their iPad battery replacement policy (where they only do an iPad swap for you if its battery falls below 80% health). But for the iPhone, battery replacement is no-questions-asked, so long as you are willing to pay for the cost of the replacement.
Which is nonsensical. I’ve seen people replace their batteries in the high 90% just because “it’s over a year old and it won’t get me enough battery life”. Ridiculous.

Battery health is completely irrelevant if the device isn’t updated, a one-year-old iPhone will not have any battery health related issues. An updated four-year-old iPhone might, but Apple allowing anything and everything isn’t quite right in my opinion. But it’s even more ridiculous to request it.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Which is nonsensical. I’ve seen people replace their batteries in the high 90% just because “it’s over a year old and it won’t get me enough battery life”. Ridiculous.

Battery health is completely irrelevant if the device isn’t updated, a one-year-old iPhone will not have any battery health related issues. An updated four-year-old iPhone might, but Apple allowing anything and everything isn’t quite right in my opinion. But it’s even more ridiculous to request it.
Well yes one year after it makes no sense. But still cheaper than to buy a new phone;)

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Under warranty they will likely need to see it go to 80% or below. I suppose it depends on who you get they might be more lenient and replace it at something like 83%.

Of course they are more willing to replace the battery if you pay but again I think it comes down to who you get. A lot of people say no they won't replace it if it's not below 80% but I wouldn't be surprised if they replaced it at a higher percentage.

If you want a new battery then just go see them and see what they say.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
If you pay out of pocket, they should replace the battery at any percent, according to Apple Support chat and phone.

In-person, I've never experienced rejection, even when my battery was above 90%.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I’ve had my SE1 battery replaced at 92% and my 6S battery replaced at 83% at the Apple Store. If you’re paying for it they’ll change the battery.

They only ask for your battery to be below 80% if you’re charging it to AC+.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.