Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Howdy - I have an oldish Macbook (white), which is still functioning but we don't really use that much. I has a crack on the back of the screen (on the plastic), but it works fine and the screen itself is perfect.
Since I am buying an iPad pro, I was thinking if Apple buys back or trade laptops?

Thanks

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
I believe the answer is no, especially with a model which is now 'unsupported'.
Even if they did, why bother because you'd be given next to nothing. Do yourself a favour. Give it a good external clean, take a few clear photos showing the lid closed, open, and the screen booted to the desktop. Then put an ad in your local Craigslist or equivalent, and make yourself some useful money. If unsure of the value, look on Craigslist or 'Bay' for similar model pricing.
Good luck!

Reactions: yaxomoxay

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
The Macbook is the old white plastic one, I think 2010.
The MBP is early 2011.

pat_space

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2016
denver
Just out of curiosity, how much would it cost to put a decent SSD in my Macbook and MBP (non retina) ?

I can tell you what I did for my girlfriend's 2008 Macbook Unibody (which I am typing on right now).

Ram: 8gb Crucial $50
SSD: Sandisk X300 250gb $85
Other: 2nd HD Caddy $7 (I put the old HD in here, in place of the optical drive, which was broken)

So for $142, I have a machine that runs near as fast as my 2011 macbook air, with more RAM and more storage (SSD+HD combine for 500 gb). If you want to keep the optical drive, throw that $7 at an external usb enclosure and you now have an extra external hard drive.

Edit: I am running el capitan. The only qualm I have with this setup is that Chrome makes the fan run high and kills the battery life. I ended up switching to safari just for this machine because of how much smoother and efficient it is. I also have a load of extensions and apps for chrome which probably contributes to the problem.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I can tell you what I did for my girlfriend's 2008 Macbook Unibody (which I am typing on right now).

Ram: 8gb Crucial $50
SSD: Sandisk X300 250gb $85
Other: 2nd HD Caddy $7 (I put the old HD in here, in place of the optical drive, which was broken)

So for $142, I have a machine that runs near as fast as my 2011 macbook air, with more RAM and more storage (SSD+HD combine for 500 gb). If you want to keep the optical drive, throw that $7 at an external usb enclosure and you now have an extra external hard drive.

Edit: I am running el capitan. The only qualm I have with this setup is that Chrome makes the fan run high and kills the battery life. I ended up switching to safari just for this machine because of how much smoother and efficient it is. I also have a load of extensions and apps for chrome which probably contributes to the problem.

Wow!! Not bad, thanks for the tip on 2nd HD Caddy. I really don't need the Optical drive on my MBP (I almost never use it)... I think that this solution would vastly improve my laptops.
I see that the SanDisk X300 goes for $85 for the 256GB, and for $48 for the 128GB (which I could put on the old laptop).

pat_space

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2016
denver
Wow!! Not bad, thanks for the tip on 2nd HD Caddy. I really don't need the Optical drive on my MBP (I almost never use it)... I think that this solution would vastly improve my laptops.
I see that the SanDisk X300 goes for $85 for the 256GB, and for $48 for the 128GB (which I could put on the old laptop).
Other tips: use superduper to clone the hard drive before you do the swap. http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html saves a boatload of time and you can boot right up after the swap. use ifixit.com for teardown and reassembly instructions.

Reactions: yaxomoxay

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
If you decide to keep a spinning HD, keep it in the original bay. It has vibration sensor that will park the heads.

I have a 2010 MBP and SSD made a tremendous difference.

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2008
Wow. Those SSD prices are amazing. Once my unibody is out of warranty I may have a 3rd party install for me.

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
Do you have the white MacBook with removable battery or last generation ie unibody white?

If removable battery, it takes 10 minutes.

In my 2010 MBP it took me about 20.

dazcox5181

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2005
Essex, UK
If you decide to keep a spinning HD, keep it in the original bay. It has vibration sensor that will park the heads.

I have a 2010 MBP and SSD made a tremendous difference.
If you go the SSD and 2nd HDD in the drive bay you can create a fusion drive in OSX like the iMacs have - been running this in a 2010 white MacBook for years and it flies!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.