Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shaocaholica

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2010
Whenever there is a major point release, does Apple update its downloadable installer from the App store to include that point release? For instance when 14.2 is out of beta and officially released to the public will the App store download for 14.x update to 14.2? Or does Apple not do this for every major point release?

3SQ Machine

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2019
This is brilliant! Sorry to bump this old thread, but was searching for something like this. I need to roll back 14.3.1 sonoma to 14.3 because that last update just messed up a few of my workflows in logic.

Just download the 14.3 package installer and run it? Will it actually "downgrade" me from 14.3.1 to 14.3 or will I need to *gasp* create a bootable installer and reboot into recovery mode?

Reactions: JonnyMacx86

gilby101

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Just download the 14.3 package installer and run it? Will it actually "downgrade" me from 14.3.1 to 14.3 or will I need to *gasp* create a bootable installer and reboot into recovery mode?
I expect you to need to get into recovery mode (either Internet Recovery or bootable installer), erase the disk, reinstall macOS and recover (Migration Assistant) from a backup made with 14.3 (or if lucky 14.3.1). But see what happens, so long as you are prepared for worst case recovery back to the last 14.3 backup.

For obvious reasons, I don't want to test this for you.

You might prefer to wait for 14.4 and/or fixup your workflows.

Reactions: 3SQ Machine

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
This is brilliant! Sorry to bump this old thread, but was searching for something like this. I need to roll back 14.3.1 sonoma to 14.3 because that last update just messed up a few of my workflows in logic.

You can’t downgrade without erasing the disk. If you have a second Mac that can run Sonoma you can put Apple Configurator on it and do a DFU restore to any version of OS that’s compatible with a given computer. This will be the fastest and will also revert the computer’s firmware to whatever version matches up with a particular operating system version. This of course is also irretrievably data destructive.

Reactions: 3SQ Machine

3SQ Machine

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2019
For obvious reasons, I don't want to test this for you.
Haha -- I get that! Fortunately I have dual-boot (ventura/sonoma) right now on my M1 Pro and this is a new-to-me machine so if I mess up starting over is no big deal. Was able to update the Ventura partition to 14.3 just by running it as an application from inside the partition.

Unfortunately, was incorrect on which release was the problem so need to revert to an earlier version. Will report back what method works.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Haha -- I get that! Fortunately I have dual-boot (ventura/sonoma) right now on my M1 Pro and this is a new-to-me machine so if I mess up starting over is no big deal. Was able to update the Ventura partition to 14.3 just by running it as an application from inside the partition.

Unfortunately, was incorrect on which release was the problem so need to revert to an earlier version. Will report back what method works.
As a suggestion for your testing: if you make volumes instead of partitions you can add and delete OSes much more quickly, and without resizing your existing volume. This is how Apple recommends doing it.
Use more than one version of macOS on Mac - Apple Support

3SQ Machine

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2019
As a suggestion for your testing: if you make volumes instead of partitions you can add and delete OSes much more quickly, and without resizing your existing volume. This is how Apple recommends doing it.
Use more than one version of macOS on Mac - Apple Support
Thanks, yes misspoke. Old habit to say partition but meant the APFS volume. Really do like this feature.

For whatever reason, erasing the volume, reinstalling ventura from recovery, and then upgrading to an earlier sonoma release did not fly. After opening, it was at 14.3.1. I intended to install 14.1.2 using the specific installer noted above.

Not sure if macos didn't like two different sonoma releases on the same container or if the installer just didn't take, but re-downloaded 14.1.2 again, erased the whole machine and started fresh with a clean ventura install, and THEN installed 14.1.2 no problem.

Good thing is, this release is good enough for my workflow (although ventura surprisingly is the best). It was some trial and error as everything released after was a problem. Now at least I know.

Appreciate the good tips in this thread. It took some time today, but it all worked out. Even was able to migrate from my old machine with 14.3.1 to the new machine with 14.1.2 with only a few hiccups.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.