Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I just discovered the hourly bird chime feature/vibration every hour in the hour feature and it’s weird how much i love this feature.
However I’m wondering if it still does that minor vibration on the hour every hour even while I’m asleep. I always sleep with my watch on and always on silent mode so don’t know if it’s different when the audio isn’t turned off

jordanpin

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2020
I just discovered the hourly bird chime feature/vibration every hour in the hour feature and it’s weird how much i love this feature.
However I’m wondering if it still does that minor vibration on the hour every hour even while I’m asleep. I always sleep with my watch on and always on silent mode so don’t know if it’s different when the audio isn’t turned off
It will vibrate only if the audio is off. In order to not have it occur while sleeping, use Sleep Mode or Do Not Disturb.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
It will vibrate only if the audio is off. In order to not have it occur while sleeping, use Sleep Mode or Do Not Disturb.
I use AutoSleep which is 10x’s better than Apple new native sleep feature. I can’t go that route and honestly was hoping I would get a vibration every hour on the hour even while asleep, seeing as I’m sure getting one little vibration every single hour on the hour for days, weeks, months on end must be doing something physiologically to us and honestly…. I’m all for it.

jordanpin

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2020
I use AutoSleep which is 10x’s better than Apple new native sleep feature. I can’t go that route and honestly was hoping I would get a vibration every hour on the hour even while asleep, seeing as I’m sure getting one little vibration every single hour on the hour for days, weeks, months on end must be doing something physiologically to us and honestly…. I’m all for it.
Same here, use AutoSleep for the tracking. I still turn on Sleep Mode for reduced battery usage and to prevent unintentional taps/pocket dials while asleep.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Same here, use AutoSleep for the tracking. I still turn on Sleep Mode for reduced battery usage and to prevent unintentional taps/pocket dials while asleep.
I’ve never had a pocket dial or tap when I’m asleep, although I did use to fear I would accidentally long press the crown and call 911.

I didn’t know that turning in sleep mode still allows for AutoSleep to function as normally as always

jordanpin

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2020
I’ve never had a pocket dial or tap when I’m asleep, although I did use to fear I would accidentally long press the crown and call 911.

I didn’t know that turning in sleep mode still allows for AutoSleep to function as normally as always
Yep, AutoSleep always works in the background. I would turn on Sleep Mode, but in Settings, switch off Track Sleep w/ Apple Watch to avoid duplicate/conflicting entries into Apple Health.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Yep, AutoSleep always works in the background. I would turn on Sleep Mode, but in Settings, switch off Track Sleep w/ Apple Watch to avoid duplicate/conflicting entries into Apple Health.
I just set up sleep mode in settings in the watch app cause of your replies

I guess my last question to you would be if you use the Turn On Automatically feature or if you do it manually every night before going to sleep. If the latter, how would you manually start the process each night?

I currently set mine up as all the same all 7 days I wake up at 9am and almost every night go to sleep sometime between 11pm-3am depending on how tired I am.

glad I could turn off tracking from the watch and to keep being able to still use AutoSleep

jordanpin

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2020
I just set up sleep mode in settings in the watch app cause of your replies

I guess my last question to you would be if you use the Turn On Automatically feature or if you do it manually every night before going to sleep. If the latter, how would you manually start the process each night?

I currently set mine up as all the same all 7 days I wake up at 9am and almost every night go to sleep sometime between 11pm-3am depending on how tired I am.

glad I could turn off tracking from the watch and to keep being able to still use AutoSleep
Honestly, the Turn On Automatically can be a bit annoying with the Wind Down Lock Screen and Do Not Disturb – especially if your bedtime is inconsistent. Manually starting is done with the Control Center toggle on your Watch: turn it on right before you sleep, and rotate the digital crown when you wake up to turn it off

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Thanks for the reply

I activated all this yesterday and in fact turned on sleep mode through control center. I woke up about 30 minutes earlier than intended and rotated the crown to get out of do not disturb for the night.

I have to admit that not seeing any notifications upon waking is quite nice

although I do usually wake up at the same time every morning weekdays or weekends, i almost always never go to sleep at the same time and usually varies between 10pm and 2am

I’ll keep sleep mode on and see how it fares with me in the coming weeks

thank you again
Honestly, the Turn On Automatically can be a bit annoying with the Wind Down Lock Screen and Do Not Disturb – especially if your bedtime is inconsistent. Manually starting is done with the Control Center toggle on your Watch: turn it on right before you sleep, and rotate the digital crown when you wake up to turn it off

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.