Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mewix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2022
Hello!
I'm currently using AW 8 (completely satisfied, by the way) and wondering whether AW Ultra 2 brings any new "health features" worth mentioning. I am a cardiac patient who suffers from tachycardia, atrial fibrillation, extrasystoles and others :D I'm wondering whether the ultra model would make ANY difference in terms of identifying these symptoms etc. (I, personally, didn't find a thing, so you wondering)
Thanks

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Hello!
I'm currently using AW 8 (completely satisfied, by the way) and wondering whether AW Ultra 2 brings any new "health features" worth mentioning. I am a cardiac patient who suffers from tachycardia, atrial fibrillation, extrasystoles and others :D I'm wondering whether the ultra model would make ANY difference in terms of identifying these symptoms etc. (I, personally, didn't find a thing, so you wondering)
Thanks
no, new SiP and gestures, nothing health-wise

Reactions: Mewix

M33-1

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Apple Watch Ultra 2 and series 9 are the only watches that allow you to tell Siri your blood pressure readings and other health data and have it logged. I purchased the Ultra 2 for that feature and the double tap. I was using a third party health app, but now it’s very covenient.

BenGoren

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2021
It’s worth mentioning that no Apple Watch being sold right now supports blood oxygen measurement (SPO2), even though the ones sold a few weeks ago did. The hardware is the same,. but legal issues have forced Apple to disable the feature on everything being sold right now.

It’s anybody’s guess as to whether or not the feature will ever be enabled again on new watches.

It’s also very much worth noting that Apple has not and almost certainly never will disable the feature on watches sold before the ban went into effect.

So … if blood oxygen is important to you, hold tight to whatever you have right now.

b&

P.S. The relevant official word: "The ability to measure Blood Oxygen is no longer available on Apple Watch units sold by Apple in the United States on or after January 18, 2024.” https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211027 b&

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
It’s worth mentioning that no Apple Watch being sold right now supports blood oxygen measurement (SPO2), even though the ones sold a few weeks ago did. The hardware is the same,. but legal issues have forced Apple to disable the feature on everything being sold right now.

It’s anybody’s guess as to whether or not the feature will ever be enabled again on new watches.

It’s also very much worth noting that Apple has not and almost certainly never will disable the feature on watches sold before the ban went into effect.

So … if blood oxygen is important to you, hold tight to whatever you have right now.

b&

P.S. The relevant official word: "The ability to measure Blood Oxygen is no longer available on Apple Watch units sold by Apple in the United States on or after January 18, 2024.” https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211027 b&

Also worth noting that it’s more a gimmick and not reliable.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Apple Watch Ultra 2 and series 9 are the only watches that allow you to tell Siri your blood pressure readings and other health data and have it logged. I purchased the Ultra 2 for that feature and the double tap. I was using a third party health app, but now it’s very covenient.
I had no idea that logging health data with Siri required the newest watches. Yet another reason I'm glad I upgraded to an S9.

Jake123456789

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2023
I believe the ones being sold outside the USA still have the feature enabled.

Apple's Dutch and French websites, for instance, still say it's there.

calliex

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2018
Pittsburgh, Pa
What do you have to say to Siri to get it to log blood pressure?

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
Also worth noting that it’s more a gimmick and not reliable.
I find it almost 100% identical to the readings I obtain when in dialysis. Usually thry only take 1 O2 reading. I get them to leave the oximeter in me do I can take a anumber of readings - I find it very valuable (as I take a synthetic hormone designed to stimulate Haemoglobin production) to find how my readings drift downwards after said injections and are higher shortly after said injection.

Tom

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Just a word of warning for those of us outside the USA, this has not been implemented in any Apple watch sold outside the USA.

Reactions: ukms
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.