Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
My Volkswagen Atlas Cross Sport has wireless carplay and a wireless charging pad. This really isn't an issue.

My Hyundai has a MagSafe charging pad that I purchased from the store and placed in the vehicle. If only all vehicles would allow you to easily install a wireless charging pad if you wished.

Wait, they do!

I could of course just plug in via lighting too of course.

TOTAL non issue.

Reactions: ConcernedCitizen

ccraig13

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2011
PA
…….nothing is stopping you from plugging it into a car charger. We’ve had that technology since the Motorola brick phones. Cars even are coming with wireless charging today.
Exactly and I love having the option of just hopping in my car without taking my phone out of my pocket. In fact, It's been over a month since I've installed my unit and have not charged my phone in the car since.

For local trips, taking a 30min drive with google maps and Spotify playing, I only consume 3% battery. I don't feel the need to plug it in to make a run to the grocery store, gym, work, etc. If I was heading out of my area, then sure I'd plug it in.

It also helps I'm not like my friends who seem to be below 10% charge at all times 😂. It did take a few times to get used to doing that since I was religious about plugging it in as soon as I got in my car. Again, do whatever, but nothing wrong with having the choice of skipping the plug!

Note: I have a 1 year old iPhone 13. So my battery is quite decent still. As someone who came from an aged battery in an iPhone 8, I can appreciate the need to find a plug as soon as possible!

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
In general, CarPlay is only a streamed video signal, that is completely processed on your iPhone. So no matter how old the hardware in the car is, it would always feel as updated as your phone is.

Of course, if you have a bad touchscreen it will always be a bad screen no matter which divice you have.
Interesting! That would definitely add to its longevity!

aorr

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2015
Good of you to ask.

My worry is that when I use any Map app the latency due to added wireless overhead would make me miss the turn that I need to get to.

This applies to urban areas with really narrow streets. I've experienced overshooting corners that I was meant to turn into.
The accuracy of your GPS in urban areas with narrow streets is *far* more of a concern than the extremely low lag time of a wireless connection.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Are you driving a Porsche? In recent news that's a car brand that is offering retrofit CarPlay.

I expect the stereo head unit to support it for at least a decade. My 2016 Honda Civic still runs it
Yeah I also have a 2016 Honda civic and I actually gotta an adapter to make my CarPlay wireless. Haven’t plugged in in over a year

ConcernedCitizen

Suspended
Jan 12, 2023
Adds complexities and cost.
What complexity and cost? It's literally all built into the car. I purchased the vehicle, sat in the seat, and put my phone in the spot where the wireless charger is installed. I'm not seeing what's complex about that.

My Hyundai has a MagSafe charging pad that I purchased from the store and placed in the vehicle. If only all vehicles would allow you to easily install a wireless charging pad if you wished.

Wait, they do!

I could of course just plug in via lighting too of course.

TOTAL non issue.
Right? my qi charger is actually built into the car from the factory, but it's such a non-issue to put a charging pad in if it wasn't.

Reactions: Howard2k

PauloSera

Suspended
Oct 12, 2022
I have an older car without CarPlay. The manufacturer is offering an upgrade that would include new features including CarPlay. I plan to keep the car a long time. Does anyone know as the car ages if the CarPlay wouldn’t be supported by a new iPhoneat some point? Basically, has that already happened?

Also, am I right in saying that if iPhones get rid of Lightning and USB-C completely then all of the wired CarPlay cars are down with. There is no workaround right?

Any thoughts appreciated!
LMFAO. Not happening.

trigf

Suspended
Jun 16, 2009
Spreading fear for fear's sake is FUD.

We use Waze and Apple Maps on both vehicles... no lag or latency.
Just to throw my hat in the ring here. I have two Audi's, one that supports wired CarPlay and one that supports wireless CarPlay. There is a noticeable delay when using wireless CarPlay that does not exist when using the same phone via wired CarPlay.

Reactions: brucemr and juniord

juniord

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2023
I see no latency issues comparing my wife's 2022 Ford Edge (wireless) to my 2021 Ford Ranger (wired)... your FUD is unfounded.
UConnect (on Jeep Grand Cherokees at least) has massive issues using CarPlay, especially wireless CarPlay. It can literally brick the radio. I have a Jeep GC 2022 and it nearly fried my headunit. I was fortunate to get new phones for my family after a few months of the issues and when we set the phones back up again, we made sure to DECLINE wireless CarPlay. A shame really. Wired CarPlay is seemingly working fine. This was experienced with multiple iPhones, all running the latest and greatest. I have other older vehicles where the wired CarPlay works great, but these head units do not have Wireless CarPlay capability.

If you want a good time, google "UConnect Wireless CarPlay Issues". Just because it works in a Ford doesn't mean it works in other systems unfortunately. This is confirmed by multiple dealers in my area (NY).

ConcernedCitizen

Suspended
Jan 12, 2023
UConnect (on Jeep Grand Cherokees at least) has massive issues using CarPlay, especially wireless CarPlay. It can literally brick the radio. I have a Jeep GC 2022 and it nearly fried my headunit. I was fortunate to get new phones for my family after a few months of the issues and when we set the phones back up again, we made sure to DECLINE wireless CarPlay. A shame really. Wired CarPlay is seemingly working fine. This was experienced with multiple iPhones, all running the latest and greatest. I have other older vehicles where the wired CarPlay works great, but these head units do not have Wireless CarPlay capability.

If you want a good time, google "UConnect Wireless CarPlay Issues". Just because it works in a Ford doesn't mean it works in other systems unfortunately. This is confirmed by multiple dealers in my area (NY).
To be fair, in my experience uconnect is just awful in general. At least when I had it in a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I know that was 8 years ago so maybe they made it less terrible.
You just won't be able to update CarPlay at a certain point. It'll still work, like an older iPhone. It just will become firmware locked.
CarPlay is just a window into whatever your phone is projecting onto it. You can’t update it on the car side, it lives on iOS.

robbietop

Suspended
Jun 7, 2017
Good Ol' US of A
To be fair, in my experience uconnect is just awful in general. At least when I had it in a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I know that was 8 years ago so maybe they made it less terrible.

CarPlay is just a window into whatever your phone is projecting onto it. You can’t update it on the car side, it lives on iOS.
Well, there is an install in the car's Infotainment system, but the iPhone updates it as you say as it is iOS side. Much like AW is updated from iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.