Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
In iPhone XS and newer models having dual SIM (one eSIM), what happens to the data plan added to the eSIM if we format the iPhone and do a fresh install of iOS through DFU mode or other wise.
Does the data plan installed on the eSIM go away and we have to install the data plan afresh.

Cinimod1000

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2016
In iPhone XS and newer models having dual SIM (one eSIM), what happens to the data plan added to the eSIM if we format the iPhone and do a fresh install of iOS through DFU mode or other wise.
Does the data plan installed on the eSIM go away and we have to install the data plan afresh.
You would need to install it again.
Actually, the e-sim remains on the phone. You will need to manually delete it. Here's some reference from the Apple forums:

yass31

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2017
FR
My objective is to re-use the same eSIM alongwith data plan after DFU installation.
Can I do it without re-installing the eSIM and the data plan post DFU mode installation.
Yes I did the day before yesterday a DFU restore on my iPhone 11 Pro and the eSIM stayed.
The only way to remove the eSIM is to manually delete it or erasing all contents from the settings app on the device and choosing to delete the eSIM also when asked.

Reactions: AxelFoley

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
The eSIM only gets erased if removed manually in the phone settings. Restore, DFU restores etc do not delete it.

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
Will it be hard to reinstall the eSim of your carrier?
If the eSIM is deleted (for whatever reason or procedure) then a new physical SIM has to be got issued from the carrier, which will help me obtain the QR code to activate the eSIM on the phone. In other words, the phone cannot start from an eSIM and get connected to the network. The phone needs a physical SIM to activate the eSIM.

zaxven

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
after DFU.. eSim was there but for some reason when i toggled off manually afterwards. it never registered to network again. Had to get a new one.. not an issue but can't figure out why it happened.

uniquexoxo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2018
South East Asia
If the eSIM is deleted (for whatever reason or procedure) then a new physical SIM has to be got issued from the carrier, which will help me obtain the QR code to activate the eSIM on the phone. In other words, the phone cannot start from an eSIM and get connected to the network. The phone needs a physical SIM to activate the eSIM.
Ohhh that’s quite complicated. With my carrier, I just need to re-scan the esim QR they gave me, and be connected to wifi while it installs my esim.
6C087993-1641-4C8B-9630-B596D65444A1.jpeg
6C087993-1641-4C8B-9630-B596D65444A1.jpeg

uniquexoxo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2018
South East Asia
Are you sure? Some carriers allow re-scans, but only for a limited amount of time. I doubt if you delete your eSIM 1 month after adding it, the same QR code would work.
Yeah it will still work because the only way to get a eSIM voucher is by going to a retail store... so that’s why it can be reused.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013

Unless your carrier is locking it down for some reason, the iPhone can provision an eSIM over Wi-Fi. This capability is necessary for devices which have no physical SIM slot, like the Apple Watch. This is part of the normal provisioning path for many carriers as they need to disable the old SIM on the account before provisioning a new eSIM.

There is a spec that allows provisioning over cellular without a SIM, similar to making emergency calls, but I don't know how many carriers have implemented it.

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
Unless your carrier is locking it down for some reason, the iPhone can provision an eSIM over Wi-Fi. This capability is necessary for devices which have no physical SIM slot, like the Apple Watch. This is part of the normal provisioning path for many carriers as they need to disable the old SIM on the account before provisioning a new eSIM.

There is a spec that allows provisioning over cellular without a SIM, similar to making emergency calls, but I don't know how many carriers have implemented it.
I don’t think this facility has been enabled in India.
perhaps because (my guess) direct provisioning of ESIM over WiFi will subvert the identity verification requirements of the customer who has been issued with that mobile number.

uniquexoxo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2018
South East Asia
Have you actually tried that? AT&T doesn't allow it.
Yeah I did cause I accidentally deleted it lol, and I thought of the same thing that I need to get a new one, and the store rep told me to just re-scan the QR.
[automerge]1585027937[/automerge]

This is similar to my carrier’s e-SIM. I just need to be connected to the internet.
This is from my carrier
5EE63257-B003-466D-AC1E-287221189672.jpeg

Attachments

• D8C39594-E7DC-4D0B-9D5A-7AF98A6C8AB4.png
    D8C39594-E7DC-4D0B-9D5A-7AF98A6C8AB4.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 232
Reactions: DeanL

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
Yeah I did cause I accidentally deleted it lol, and I thought of the same thing that I need to get a new one, and the store rep told me to just re-scan the QR.
[automerge]1585027937[/automerge]

This is similar to my carrier’s e-SIM. I just need to be connected to the internet.
This is from my carrier View attachment 900885

That's amazing! Thanks for letting us know

pmdsp

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2020
Just downgraded my iPhone XR from IOS 14 beta to IOS 13.6 using DFU mode. Restored ISO 13.6 from Apple directly and my E-SIM still works perfectly fine.
I think unless we manually remove the ESIM (Data Plan) the ESIM should work just fine. Came here created login just to update this hope it helps someone.

Reactions: RyanXM
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.