Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BillAyers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2022
I can't seem to find any info on what happens to other devices on the same iCloud account when the passcode and Face ID is disabled on just one of them. I want to be able to launch an app on an old iPhone 12 without having to first unlock it, using the back tap shortcut. It'll be mounted in a way that makes it inconvenient to unlock via the screen, so I need a way to easily launch an app without interacting with the screen (other than maybe blindly tapping on it).

I know I could wipe it and set it up on another account, and I might do that eventually, but for now I just want to understand what the ramifications are of disabling the passcode and Face ID on just this one device.

BillAyers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2022
In the Turn Off Passcode dialog, besides saying Apple Pay cards will be removed, it says "you will not be able to use this passcode to reset your Apple ID". Does that mean you won't be able to use *this device* (since it has no passcode) to reset your Apple ID, or you won't be able to use *this particular passcode string*, in case it's used on other devices? I assume the former, but the wording could be clearer.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
In the Turn Off Passcode dialog, besides saying Apple Pay cards will be removed, it says "you will not be able to use this passcode to reset your Apple ID". Does that mean you won't be able to use *this device* (since it has no passcode) to reset your Apple ID, or you won't be able to use *this particular passcode string*, in case it's used on other devices? I assume the former, but the wording could be clearer.

The way I remember it, it's the former. If you lose your Apple ID password, one of the ways to restore it is to enter the passcode of one of your devices. If that device no longer has a passcode, it cannot be used to restore your Apple ID. You should be fine.

BillAyers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2022
Thanks for the confirmations. Disabling the passcode on one device doesn't affect any others on the same account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.