Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
On the back I noticed some dust had gotten stuck.

That still means I’m water resistant and dust resistant right?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
On the back I noticed some dust had gotten stuck.

That still means I’m water resistant and dust resistant right?

That likely happened during the manufacturing process. That will not affect your dust or water resistance rating whatsoever.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
That likely happened during the manufacturing process. That will not affect your dust or water resistance rating whatsoever.

Sorry I meant the metal frame around the phone.

And I saw a few specks and got rid of most of them except one with just my finger...

1 stubborn piece seems more stuck.

Is my water and dust resistance ok???

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Sorry I meant the metal frame around the phone.

And I saw a few specks and got rid of most of them except one with just my finger...

1 stubborn piece seems more stuck.

Is my water and dust resistance ok???

That's still not going to affect your dust/water resistance rating. Without Physically seeing your device, I am Assuming that is something that happened during the manufacturing process.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
That's still not going to affect your dust/water resistance rating. Without Physically seeing your device, I am Assuming that is something that happened during the manufacturing process.

Ok.

If you use a piece of paper and stick it in between the gasket and glass/metal to scoop the dust out does that affect resistance

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Ok.

If you use a piece of paper and stick it in between the gasket and glass/metal to scoop the dust out does that affect resistance

No. In order for the dust/water resistance rating to be compromised, one of the seals would have to be damaged or defective that would prevent foreign elements and water to get inside the device.

Reactions: pat500000

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
No. In order for the dust/water resistance rating to be compromised, one of the seals would have to be damaged or defective that would prevent foreign elements and water to get inside the device.

OHHH I get it now! Thanks!!

I don’t think I damaged it by shoving a piece of paper in between...

At least I hope not. What do you think? It should just seal back up I’m guessing?

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
If dust is getting in between the glass and the aluminum casing on your 8, it means it has a gap and it's not seamless.

Appleman11

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2017
Mine has a gap and dust gets in it as well. Apple said it was normal that the gap was there and the display models exhibited a similar gap.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
My iPhone gets dusty, like in the edge between the front glass screen and metal band, but that doesn’t mean mines defective right?

And does ip67 mean no dust is inside? Just outside

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Pretty sure that Shadowbech meant "tampered with", not "tempered"

Although "tempered" could mean "softened" in some contexts.
I doubt that's what Shadowbech had in mind, however. :D

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Pretty sure that Shadowbech meant "tampered with", not "tempered"

Although "tempered" could mean "softened" in some contexts.
I doubt that's what Shadowbech had in mind, however. :D
Yea that's what I meant. "Tampered with"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.