Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SilentFisher

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
Hey All,

I was really excited to buy a new pair of AirPods Pro, since I found their functionalities really interesting. I dig into reviews etc and now I have a feeling that everybody experience the so called rattle gate.

Is this really so? Are there people without the issue? Every pair is faulty at some point? These are 250 EUR headphones and I don’t want to be frustrated after spending it...

Let me know your thoughts ;)

T.Vo

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2020
I just noticed that in my RIGHT airpod today. The scenario is very specific because it only happens when both my airpods are in. Other than that I don't hear it. With both of them in I hear it when there's music, no music, when I tap on the right airpod just a teeny bit, when I am walking, running, pretty much all the time. For example I could have just the affected airpod in my ear and jump everywhere tap the heck out of it and still no rattling, but as soon as I also put the left one in the rattlings starts. It's quiet loud and very annoying to say the least. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. I'll probably just contact Apple and have them look at it.

inbloomgc

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2019
California
I just got my pair on Monday from Costco. I figured if this happens I can return them there. But I'd rather they not fail on me...

I think for everyone who reports yes or no rattle should also include how long they've had them. So we can see if there's a pattern in when the rattling starts happening. Because I can say I haven't had a problem, but then again, I've only had them for 5 days.

T.Vo

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2020
I just got my pair on Monday from Costco. I figured if this happens I can return them there. But I'd rather they not fail on me...

I think for everyone who reports yes or no rattle should also include how long they've had them. So we can see if there's a pattern in when the rattling starts happening. Because I can say I haven't had a problem, but then again, I've only had them for 5 days.

Yes sorry about that, I've had my airpods for about 4 months now and I just noticed this around this morning.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hey All,

I was really excited to buy a new pair of AirPods Pro, since I found their functionalities really interesting. I dig into reviews etc and now I have a feeling that everybody experience the so called rattle gate.

Is this really so? Are there people without the issue? Every pair is faulty at some point? These are 250 EUR headphones and I don’t want to be frustrated after spending it...

I’ve had mine since mid December 2019, use them nearly every day, and have not noticed rattling at this point.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
I purchased my AirPod Pros in November and just made arrangements with Apple Support to have them replaced because of this issue.

I have noticed it for quite a while but don't recall if it began when I first started using the AirPods, or at some later point.

I didn't even think about having them replaced until I noticed the discussion threads here on this subject and realized that it was a defect and that mine would be eligible for replacement

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
Had mine about 4 months when I first started noticing it in the right pod. Took me another month to realize what was going on and start researching it. Called AppleCare last week and had a replacement shipped. Took 10 minutes. Not hard. Unfortunately as soon as I got the new right pod, I immediately realized the left was bad too. So called back and got a replacement for the left even quicker.

This is definitely a known issue within Apple. They asked very specific questions and there was no pushback at all. We'll see how long these last. I'll definitely watch my 1yr purchase date so I can get a final replacement before the warranty expires.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Rattling, and also high pitched squeaking. And the noise cancellation seems not to be effective anymore (I know it was reduced in firmware, but now I don't really hear much difference between it being off or on).

dreamsound

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2011
Yes, and I’ve lost track of how many times they’ve been replaced for it at this point. I absolutely baby them, too.

I would love to know what is actually happening. I don’t have any particular insight into the failure, but since it only happens when in Transparency or Noise Canceling mode, not “Off,” it seems likely a noise canceling microphone eventually detaches from its fixture and rattles with any sound or movement.

I bought them on launch day and I think I’m on my 5th set.

• Sad
Reactions: Duncan68

Kimball

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
The rattling started for me ~3 month after getting them. The rattling only "appeared" when ANC or Transpararency mode was active, when "off" they worked as usual. Finally got them exchanged for new ones after the shop once told me "there is nothing wrong with your headphones", took me 2 sec to prove them wrong. Sigh. Very tiresome, def. hoping this wont happen again...

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Approach AirPods Pro with caution. Apart from the rattling/sound distortion, etc. they need to be compatible with your ears. I was lucky I was able to try them on at an Apple Store before the pandemic and, for me, the sound of AirPods 2 was actually better. It is a bit of an anatomical lottery, depending on one’s particular ears. If you can order them online straight from Apple and then return them if you do not like them for a refund, this might be the best way to go, IMO.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Hey All,

Does this happen over time or is it instant? I got my AirPods Pro last Thursday and experience no rattling whatsoever.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I posted last Saturday that I was having no problems, but the crackling appeared in my left AirPod yesterday afternoon. The new firmware made no difference, so Apple is overnighting me a replacement.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I posted last Saturday that I was having no problems, but the crackling appeared in my left AirPod yesterday afternoon. The new firmware made no difference, so Apple is overnighting me a replacement.

Apparently this is a mesh issue, appearing over time as the mesh gets blocked. The replacement should help, but only for a while, until the new mesh gets blocked again:

[automerge]1588797228[/automerge]
Does this happen over time or is it instant? I got my AirPods Pro last Thursday and experience no rattling whatsoever.

It’s a mechanical issue, check this out:

inbloomgc

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2019
California
AirPods Pro subreddit has a thread about fixing the crackling issue by cleaning them out in water. Some people have replied that it worked - might be worth it to check out.

rxp

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2018
Use Blue-tac to clear all the grids up. Worked on mine perfectly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.