Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 28, 2015
I'm currently using a Logitech G502 Proteus Core (wired) on a 2014 MBP running High Sierra. Using Logitech Gaming Software (LGS) (v. 9.02.22), I customized the buttons for office productivity tasks (screen tiling, etc.).

However, I'm switching to a 2019 iMac, on which I'll be installing Big Sur or Monterey. LGS is not supported on these, so I'll need to switch to Logitech G HUB.

My concern is that there are lots of complaints that G HUB doesn't work nearly as well LGS. Given this, I'm wondering if there is a significant difference in G HUB's bugginess between Big Sur and Monterey.

RabidMacFan

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
California
G hub works fine in Monterey. But I’ve been using an app someone else recommended here called Mac mouse fix https://mousefix.org/ that lets you customize any of your mouse buttons without installing the Logitech software. It covers 99% of what I would need from G Hub.

It won’t be able to change DPI settings or scroll ratcheting like the Logitech software though.

Reactions: theorist9

theorist9

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 28, 2015
G hub works fine in Monterey. But I’ve been using an app someone else recommended here called Mac mouse fix https://mousefix.org/ that lets you customize any of your mouse buttons without installing the Logitech software. It covers 99% of what I would need from G Hub.

It won’t be able to change DPI settings or scroll ratcheting like the Logitech software though.
Thanks for the tip, though I do like to be able to customize the DPI settings.

I also like to be able to adjust the acceleration. I used Decelerator for that:

1653023171152.png

theorist9

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 28, 2015

Also, I've read that, unlike with LGS, you need to login to G HUB each time you turn on your computer in order to use your customized profile.

Is this actually true? If yes, it would be obnoxious and intrusive, so I'm hoping the answer is no. For instance, I've seen videos showing that you can use G HUB to store memory profiles onboard your mouse itself. Maybe once you've done that you would no longer need to login to Logitech.

Though I've tried creating an onboard memory profile with LGS, and never got it to work.

If you have a PC, you can use the Logitech Onboard Memory Manager to store your profile on your mouse, obviating the need for G HUB entirely. But it's available for Windows only:

Last edited:

RabidMacFan

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
California
Also, I've read that, unlike with LGS, you need to login to G HUB each time you turn on your computer in order to use your customized profile.

Is this actually true? If yes, it would be obnoxious and intrusive, so I'm hoping the answer is no. For instance, I've seen videos showing that you can use G HUB to store memory profiles onboard your mouse itself. Maybe once you've done that you would no longer need to login to Logitech.

Though I've tried creating an onboard memory profile with LGS, and never got it to work.

If you have a PC, you can use the Logitech Onboard Memory Manager to store your profile on your mouse, obviating the need for G HUB entirely. But it's available for Windows only:
I’ve never had to login with an account to GHub. The software does need to be running to work though. It puts a icon in your menu bar.

I used the onboard memory manager with my G Pro X. It lets me assign buttons to change profiles that can be stored in the mouse memory so you don’t need the G hub software at all, but can still use it to switch profiles if you didn’t set a button to do that. But it only works for certain mice. For example, it doesn’t work with the MX master.

Reactions: theorist9

theorist9

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 28, 2015
I’ve never had to login with an account to GHub. The software does need to be running to work though. It puts a icon in your menu bar.
Ah that's good. And I don't mind having to keep it running—that's what I currently do with LGS.

But I am confused. Logitech's own support is saying you do need to login:

1653027266994.png

I used the onboard memory manager with my G Pro X. It lets me assign buttons to change profiles that can be stored in the mouse memory so you don’t need the G hub software at all, but can still use it to switch profiles if you didn’t set a button to do that. But it only works for certain mice. For example, it doesn’t work with the MX master.
OK, thanks I'll give that a shot. Can you customize the DPI in the onboard profiles?

The G502 does have onboard memory. I assume most of their gaming mice do—I think it's intended to make the customizations portable, giving gamers access to their customizations when they bring their mice to competitions. That's also why it's not available on the MX.

RabidMacFan

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
California
Ah that's good. And I don't mind having to keep it running—that's what I currently do with LGS.

But I am confused. Logitech's own support is saying you do need to login:

View attachment 2007148

OK, thanks I'll give that a shot. Can you customize the DPI in the onboard profiles?

The G502 does have onboard memory. I assume most of their gaming mice do—I think it's intended to make the customizations portable, giving gamers access to their customizations when they bring their mice to competitions. That's also why it's not available on the MX.
Yes, at least for the g super light , I could set 4 or 5 profiles. I think could set the DPI for each profile, and even set buttons on the mouse for “DPI Shift” which is a temporary DPI change, increase dpi, decrease dpi, cycle dpi, and even cycle profile. So if you are able to customize everything you need in memory, you may not even need g hub.
Only thing that sucks is that it’s windows only. I was able to use it in a VMWare windows, but I had to change some internal settings to allow low level hid access.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 28, 2015
Yes, at least for the g super light , I could set 4 or 5 profiles. I think could set the DPI for each profile, and even set buttons on the mouse for “DPI Shift” which is a temporary DPI change, increase dpi, decrease dpi, cycle dpi, and even cycle profile. So if you are able to customize everything you need in memory, you may not even need g hub.
Only thing that sucks is that it’s windows only. I was able to use it in a VMWare windows, but I had to change some internal settings to allow low level hid access.
Are you saying you were able to configure the mouse's onboard profiles in Windows, and then use them on the Mac?

theorist9

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 28, 2015
Yes. If you are able to configure the buttons and profiles the way you want, there's no reason to install the software on mac at all.
Thanks! I did try GHub, and found the interface to be poorly designed; it's particularly non-obvious how to customize the buttons to execute multiple keystrokes (e.g., CMD-OPT-K).

Fortunately, your suggestion led me to revisit trying to create an onboard profile using the LGS on my older Mac, and this time it worked perfectly! I'm now using the G502 on my 2019 iMac running Monterey, without GHub.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 28, 2015
Update: GHub still sucks, but it has been improved. It is now possible to record macros with multiple keystrokes (recording the macros is actually the one part of GHub that's easy), and assign them to mouse buttons. It is further possible to copy the custom profile you've created to the mouse's onboard memory.

The restriction that CMD-Left Arrow and CMD-Right Arrow (which I use to have the current window cover the left half and right half of the display, respectively) aren't recognized remains, but the workaround is to create some new combination of keystrokes for those functions, and use those new combinations in GHub. Specifically, I used CTRL-OPT-J and CTRL-OPT-K, respectively.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.